Desktop ads on W7pro

Old 08-02-18, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Angry Desktop ads on W7pro

Don't ya just love it. I started getting little popup ads in the lower right corner of my desktop. I received two in several hours. One yesterday. The one is posted below. The other one was something about/for Microsoft but I couldn't catch it soon enough. This just started several days ago. I checked for any new programs and found nothing. I have Malwarebytes pro - paid service running. Did several scans and nothing was found.

I read that it could be bloatware from the mfg. I ran a program called PC DeCrapifier that looks for that. It found nothing. I've had the computer several months and this is something new. I have I-tunes on this comp. I just went in to to Startup and unchecked I-tunes from starting automatically. I'll see if it was an apple thing.

I've had a Firefox browser running but not open on the screen. Just the desktop was visible. So I don't think this is a browser issue.

Anyone else seen ads on the desktop ?

Name:  crap_ad.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  23.4 KB

I just found this article at Microsoft. They give a list of tools to try. Good if you have lots of spare time to run dozens of scans. answers.microsoft.com/how-to-remove-pop-up-ads-from-the-desktop

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-18, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
I like to run AdwCleaner

and SuperAntiSpyware

Old 08-02-18, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
BTW, no, I haven't seen that on my computer yet, but those two programs always help with other stuff.

Old 08-02-18, 11:08 AM
R
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
Do you have automatic updates enabled? It could be something that came with an update thus nothing seen on malware scans. Maybe look at the last few updates to see if they correspond with time the pop ups started. Just a thought since MS tends to load crap they think you need/want without asking you beforehand. That's one reason I will never go to Win 10.

Old 08-02-18, 11:52 AM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
I don't use Firefox, however Chrome has a thing called "Notifications" in Settings. It allows different websites to send you notifications, which typically appear in the lower right corner of the screen. I find them annoying also. I have Notifications blocked on Chrome.

I just checked, and Firefox has a similar feature. Go to Options/Privacy & Security and click the Settings button to the right of Notifications. This will allow you to control what websites send you notifications.

Old 08-02-18, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
I have Win10 with automatic updates and never gotten anything like this. Seriously doubt it's Microsoft.

Old 08-02-18, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Well..... my hat's off to Bob.

When I went to notifications I found the culprit. Cnet had allowed itself access.
I deleted them and blocked all future requests.

Name:  notif.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  27.2 KB