Lenovo desktop Icons all disappeared

Old 08-12-18, 07:56 PM
W
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Lenovo desktop Icons all disappeared

All of my desktop icons on my new Lenovo Thinkpad have all dissappeared except the icons on the taskbar below it. I can't see any of them, which all used to come up at startup. Not sure where to go to make them re appear except the call the store where I bought it/

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-18, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 149 Votes on 133 Posts
Try restarting the computer. Sometimes it is just a glitch that causes that.

Old 08-12-18, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Not an expert but that has happened on my mothers computer too.... running W-10.

Two things I've noticed and they may not apply to you.
Make sure you are signed into the correct area. Somehow she though she had logged in but it was not. It looked like her desktop but with no icons.

The other thing is in the bottom left of the tray..... an icon called alternate desktop or something to that effect. When you click on it.... it brings up a desktop with no icons. I unpinned it from her tray.

(you can tell how much I like and know about w-10)

Old 08-13-18, 06:54 PM
W
It is so weird, All the icons come on for a split second and disappear at start up.

Old 08-13-18, 08:46 PM
T
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
A possibility but not guaranteed...

Right click on desktop and select the view arrow and make sure you have the "Show Desktop Icons" enabled

Old 08-14-18, 06:43 AM
W
When I right clicked on the desktop, I could not get a view choice, right clicking does absolutely nothing. shut it down, restarted, even took the battery out and replaced it. what the heck happened!

Old 08-14-18, 06:59 AM
W
I have to back up on that, I right clicked on the bottom of the screen where the taskbar is, and got a view choice, I found the enable for icons but and checked it, all of the other boxes were also checked as I remember none of them disabled any icons so I am back to square one. I even tried to do them one by one (make shortcuts) from the desktop file in the hard drive with no luck

Old 08-14-18, 08:20 AM
H
Received 70 Votes on 61 Posts
The newest release of Win-10 has a "Task View" button, which lets you create multiple desltops.

Try holding down Ctrl+WinKey and tapping left or right arrow, if you HAVE created multiple desktops, that's how you move between them.

Old 08-14-18, 05:23 PM
W
My wife was going by the computer store where I bought it, so I gave up and had her drop it off. The owner had it fixed and she brought it back with her. Icons are back. He told her this has happened to other customers, but I will have to call tomorrow to find out just what it was.

Old 08-15-18, 05:34 AM
W
He said something about a key being stuck in Tablet Mode. I cannot find anything in the user guide that refers to a tablet mode. What key would that have been?

Old 08-15-18, 05:49 AM
W
Tablet mode

I found the tablet key by selecting the notifications Icon at the bottom right of the screen, It brings up another screen with "tablet mode" in the upper left. I was too busy to experiment, so I didn't test it. but apparently if you click there, it switches the computer to a tablet (which clears the desktop) and a small light comes on. If all of you didn't know that, i don't feel bad at all!

Old 08-15-18, 10:01 AM
W
Lenovo Icons

I called my Lenovo Dealer back to double check what he did to fix it. He said that he had a number of them do that in the last week, guessing that a system wide upgrade may have had something to do with it. Still don't know what he did to fix it himself, but it sure didn't take very long. I don't know why people just can't tell you, must be a job security thing....