Dell solid amber power light

Old 08-24-18, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dell solid amber power light

I have a Dell Studio 540 desktop PC of which has been working fine until today when I turned tried turning it on it will not boot up. The LED light by the power button on the front will normally be solid white when the computer turns on, but now that light is a solid (not blinking) amber. What it does now when I try to power it up is the light turns on (solid amber), it beeps once, I can hear the fan(s) spinning inside, then the computer shuts off by itself and then about 5 seconds later turns itself back on (and remains on) but other than the solid amber light and the fan(s) spinning inside, no further progress toward booting up.
I tried at least one thing I read about, which was to unplug the power and all peripherals and then hold the power button down for 30 seconds, then plug the power cord back in and try again, but that didn't help. I also read a solid amber light on these make/models might mean a power supply issue, but then again there seemed to be conflicting info where instead a power supply issue would result in a blinking (not solid like mine) amber light. I also read this type of behavior could point to a motherboard issue. Just hoping/fishing here for any comments on what else I might try before I jump to any conclusions about anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-18, 11:55 AM
R
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
First thing I would do is replace the CMOS battery, it is located on the motherboard. They are the most overlooked when boot problems occur. If that doesn't fix it I would then test the power supply with an inexpensive tester or just replace it because they do wear out. I'm sure other computer savvy will be along to offer more help.

Old 08-24-18, 11:59 AM
Ok Ron53 I'll go ahead at least and replace that CMOS battery. Although don't usually when those are about to run out, there is at least some message that comes on screen to notify as such? Or not necessarily? thanks...

Old 08-24-18, 01:20 PM
R
No, no message will come up but can cause a non boot condition.

Old 08-24-18, 01:38 PM
I have a 3V CMOS battery in my drawer. I checked it with the multimeter and it reads a little over 3V. I guess if I remove and check the the CMOS battery (with the multimeter) in my non-booting computer and it reads 3V or so I can rule out the CMOS battery as being the culprit. Right?

Old 08-24-18, 08:38 PM
Yup replacing that battery fixed it. I do seem to definitely recall, however, on an older Dell desktop model I had (Optiplex GX280) that when the CMOS battery was getting close to needing replacement that there would be a nag message there on the splash screen just prior to boot-up, warning/reminding that the system battery should be replaced...

I'm just happy that's all it was and not anything more, apparently. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-18, 01:21 PM
R
Glad that's all it was.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<