No wireless to PC except Hotspot works..

Old 09-05-18, 05:37 PM
No wireless to PC except Hotspot works..

Wired cat 5 internet connection - no problem,,.. wireless to laptop and smart phone using the router- no problem.. wireless to PC no connection.. If I create hot spot from my smart pho en to wireless PC no problem.. I have done all the resets for win sock reboot reinstall WiFi software.. no connection wireless .. but again another hot spot from iPhone 7 to same Belcan wireless USB connection plug - there is a connection..

In my network settings for the PC it shows mine and all the neighbors wifi names .. & mine is 5 green bars but will not only not connect But I can't get it to the stage where I have to manually type in and enter the password on two lines .. its not there & can't get it to produce the ''forget this'' network..

I can remove the network name of the wifi (from router to) manually from PC, but as soon I reenter the name- fresh .. it won't then ask for a password ..
This is what I think is wrong .. if I reboot off the PC into windows 10 the same wifi works for windows 10 but not for windows Xp.. yet windows XP works with m y smart phone ..

crazy right ?

getting ready to reinstall windows XP .. ( only because we love Outlook express 6)

Ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-18, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A bit of a stretch, but is it 2.4GHz wifi? Some computers/adapters won't work with 5GHz.

Old 09-06-18, 07:41 AM
I can remove the network name of the wifi (from router to) manually from PC
Very confusing sentence. Did you mean removing the name also from the router or something else?

Old 09-06-18, 09:20 AM
Sounds like two programs are fighting to control the wifi adapter.

Under Windows XP either windows controls wifi or a Belkin program controls the wifi, but IIRC windows XP will accept a 3rd party driver like Belkin.
Under Win 10, I've found that Win 10 takes control of wifi and IIRC won'allow 3rd party software, or just has it hidden in some different setting than in XP

Usually, just deleting the wifi driver in device manager (XP or 10), or rolling it back, will help..

Last edited by Hal_S; 09-06-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 06:23 AM
Sounds like two programs are fighting to control the wifi adapter.
But why would it work with the smart phone?

Old 09-10-18, 07:14 AM
, but as soon I reenter the name- fresh .. it won't then ask for a password ..
Why arenít you at least trying a new network name? Why same name? XP might be holding on to an old password for that network. Then after a failed auto-connect attempt which the outdated password would cause, you then canít do anything with that network, e.g. canít enter a new password, etc. At least I think there is an XP bug something like that. Not 100% sure.

I think setting up a new name would eliminate any problematic profile that XP might have for the old network. Easy enough to try.