Can't get printer to connect to Mac thru wifi

Old 09-18-18, 03:10 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't get printer to connect to Mac thru wifi

I have a MacBookPro (OS High Sierra, 10.13.6) that is connected to our wifi router. We have an HP printer that is also on the same wireless network.

The Mac does not "see" the printer.

I've gone to System Preferences, Printers and Scanners and when I check the "+" sign it does not find the printer.

If I connect the printer to the Mac with a USB cable, it prints normally. It's just not connecting wirelessly.

I've restarted the Mac, as well as re-connecting the printer onto the wireless net.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 09-18-18, 04:27 PM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Are you sure the printer is actually connected to the wireless network? I've seen many installations where the printer will randomly disconnect from the network. I'm not familiar with the Mac, but with Windows computers, you can look at the network and see if the printer shows up on the network. If you can't tell if the printer is connected to the network, try reconnecting the printer to the WiFi network and then see if the printer "sees" it.

Old 09-18-18, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You can also connect into the router and see if the printer is on the list of connected devices.

Old 09-18-18, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
My printer disconnects itself from my wireless network every now and then for some unknown reason. I have to restart my modem/router and then it's connected again. Try restarting your router.

Old 09-19-18, 09:07 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I restarted everything, no joy. But I was able to stumble on a window that let me add a new printer, it listed my printer and that got me going. The little icon for the printer looks nothing like my printer, but I don't care, it's working.

Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: