Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Slow Win98 Boot

05-21-01, 04:36 AM   #1  
After I installed an ethernet card for use with Road Runner, my boot speed has dropped to terminally slow. Seriously, it hangs at the Windows 98 Logo screen for three or four minutes.

Once it boots, everything is fine, and I must admit that the Road Runner is working surprisingly well.

I have checked for IRQ conflicts, etc., and even though the card does share an IRQ with my video adapter, it shows no conflicts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Pentium Pro 180 with 256 mg ram

Sponsored Links

WI

05-21-01, 11:24 AM   #2  
is your nic useing static or dhcp? have seen a few times where a system takes its sweet time booting up because dhcp on the server takes a while to assign an address. Or does our new nic have a self test that it runs each time you cycle power? if it does disable that feature. pull out the nic for a sec, boot up and check the times. also if you have a free irq try moving the nic to it. It seems odd that vid and nic would share the same irq. have only seen com ports and irq steering share the irqs.

Search this Thread