voip phone service.

Old 10-12-18, 06:29 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
voip phone service.

I just switched internet providers and the phone service they have is over the internet. I notice that people are using voip quite a bit. checking around I see that google voice is fairly popular and inexpensive. does anyone here know where to get the information on how to set it up, what kind of equipment is initially needed, does the equipment need to be hooked up before you can sign on to a voip service? I have not done this before, but have hooked up centurylink modems, so have some knowledge, but this is new to me. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-18, 07:28 AM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
I've been using an Ooma VOIP system for almost 5 years with good results. I paid approximately $80 for the Ooma and my monthly phone bill is $4.98 (Federal & state taxes). If you want to use Google Voice, the Obihai line of equipment is reasonably priced and is supposed to work well with GV. The Obihai OBi200 sells for around $50.

Old 10-12-18, 07:46 AM
F
does ooma have a website where you can sign up and find out how to use it and port a number from my old company? do you have the original ooma or an upgraded version? I want to keep my old number. thanks for the info. I was checking into this and found google voice doesn't have any site to tell you how to hook it up and port your old no.

Old 10-12-18, 10:22 AM
T
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Oh, by the way...

If you don't have an alarm system that uses your phone lines, you can stop reading here.

Be aware that alarm communications via phone and VOIP do not play well together ("almost never" might be more accurate). Regardless of what company you might choose, remember that their primary goal is to sign you up.

You might want to talk to talk to your alarm provider.

Old 10-12-18, 10:51 AM
H
Received 71 Votes on 62 Posts
I see that google voice is fairly popular and inexpensive.
Google Voice/Google Hangouts is basically free with most Android based phones.

When you get an android cell phone, during initial setup you'll be prompted to set up a google account "[email protected]" in order to get update the applications from the Google Play store.

That Google account for your phone will also allow you to receive text messages and get voicemails and transcribed versions of the voicemails via that email address.

If you install the browser Google Chrome browser on your computer, you can link the phone account to the Google browser, and then add a "Hangouts Extension" which allows you to make free internet data phone calls using the microphone and speakers from the computer (you'll want to grab a $15 hendset with a microphone and headphones.

Old 10-12-18, 12:32 PM
Yes, Ooma has a website (https://www.ooma.com) with pretty detailed setup instructions. You can move your existing phone number to the Ooma. I believe the cost is $40. I have the original Ooma Teleo. I don't know if the new model is any better or not.

General setup is pretty easy. Create your account, connect the Ooma box to your router, and plug your phone into the phone jack on the back of the Ooma box.

Old 10-18-18, 12:19 PM
F
I have mediacom now with a phone which is basically viop because the phone comes in on the cable. is it possible to transfer your home phone from something like that to ooma? I know ooma has a place where they charge for porting your home no. but its not a landline.

Old 10-18-18, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I would suggest that you contact Ooma and ask them the question.

Old 10-21-18, 06:37 AM
S
I've had Ooma for a few years and it's been good. I heard a while back Google Voice was ending the option of using an ATA (Analog telephone adapter) like Obihai, but I see it's still supported. I also have a Google Voice number but no ATA for that. I have the G.V. number ring my 2nd Ooma number, (comes with the Premium option) as well as my tablet which has the 'Hangouts' app (I believe that's what it's called). Also have the app on an Android phone that no longer has a service plan. I can make/receive calls from that within Wifi range of my home.

Not sure if Premium is required for the Blacklist feature. It works well most of the time sending specified numbers to voicemail, continuous ringing or a not in service recording - but of course telemarketers can create other numbers to call from. Premium has a few other features like voicemail monitoring through the Telo.

A very good feature for me is being able to customize what shows on the Caller ID displays. I have friends and family's names in upper case letters with a space between each letter making it easier to see without glasses.