Galaxy S5,Honda Cr-v 2017 EX-l, INtERNET

Old 10-17-18, 08:54 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Galaxy S5,Honda Cr-v 2017 EX-l, INtERNET

I tried for hours to get internet in my car but using wifi,usb,or bluetooth, was not able. I used data, hotspot, tethering to no avail. I called verizon and they told me to use HondaLink which did work.
However, I think, not sure, that there is a charge besides he data charge for hondalink so I am avoiding it.
Does anyone know if Hondalink costs on my car?
Importantly,could you please tell me the steps to get internet with my phone and car. Hondalink proved it can be done. I am missing the right sequence of steps with the traditional ways =BT,WIFI and USB cable..
I can run Android Auto with no trouble but it does not give me internet just text,email,call,maps etc.

Old 10-17-18, 09:40 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
I don't have any experience with Hondas in particular, but for other cars with internet connectivity, it's usually just 2 simple steps:

1) Confirm you're signed up for the internet service - usually it is additional cost than just the standard auto manufacturer connectivity that's required for service notifications and such.

2) Connect to the wifi. You may need to get the password via the settings on your dashboard console.

I have a feeling your issue is that you need to enable internet connectivity and pay for it. It looks like HondaLink gives you service reminders and such, but on their website, I don't see anything about internet connectivity.

I'd suggest giving your local Honda dealership service shop a call. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell it to you!

Old 10-17-18, 10:11 AM
P
connectivity

It seems when I enable data the enable wifi data turns wifi off.
It seems to wan to go with blue tooth as I see it listed, at times.
I don't understand ny a usb cable can't do this as it is made for that purpose.
I'll call Honda here but that is a million mile wait. I guess I'm not the only person on earth -living around DC = get used to Parris Island again and hurry up and wait.

Old 10-17-18, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
You have to have an internet provider that includes free WIFI wherever you're at. Otherwise, you do have to pay for that service. IE, I have Xfinity, which includes free WIFI service anywhere.

Old 10-17-18, 12:56 PM
P
carrier

Verizon says I should be able to get internet with my plan.

Old 10-17-18, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I had to download an app for hotspots and then I need to find them. Not all areas pick it up.
Perhaps Verizon has a similar app?

Old 10-17-18, 01:31 PM
P
internet

Honda says no car can use internet per NTSB so it is disabled on all cars.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: