Virus Scams

Old 12-26-18, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Virus Scams

This is actually a curiosity question. You know those Microsoft messages you sometimes get saying you have a virus and to call so and so number? I don't fall for them and I know how to get rid of them, but my question is, where do they come from? I mean are they from the website you're visiting or are they from something that got put on your computer?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-18, 01:33 PM
I'm not smart enough to know the answer, but have wondered the same thing. My theory, right or wrong, is that a few of them may be "mini-viruses" that sneak in past antivirus programs, relatively harmless, sort of like having the sniffles for a day even though you got a flu shot a month ago, no real connection to anything serious, but that the majority of them are somehow attached to websites, even very legitimate and well-policed sites. As you said, they can be gotten rid of easily enough, as long as one can distinguish between reality and fraud, or whatever, so either way I don't think of it as anything any more serious than the occasional weeds that you inevitably find in the best batches of grass seed.

Old 12-26-18, 02:06 PM
They're just pop-up ads, not an actual virus.

However, the links will generally attempt to load a virus, so use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open task manager and shut down the browser.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/t...rs-pop-up.html

Old 12-26-18, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Just to be safe, in addition to Hal's suggestion, I think this is also a good time to clear caches on your machine.

Old 12-26-18, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
OK, thanks guys, will do! I read that article and then read the"deviously scripted web pages" article and it says this usually happens when you visit dubious websites, but this happened when I was in Kohl's website a few days ago and then again in another forum website (not dubious) today.

Old 12-26-18, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have gone to the web site I thought was a good one. I have gotten this also.; a similar site or a typo could do this.

Old 12-27-18, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie
it says this usually happens when you visit dubious websites
Likely because that ad space is cheaper and scammers don't want to spend much.

IIRC, internet adds tend to charge based on website traffic, so higher volume sites (yahoo, Fox, CNN and online magazines cost more, and would be more likely to respond when adds cause problems.

Low to mid volume sites, IIRC, sell advertising space, but don't choose individual adds, instead those go through "add aggregators"

Some interesting tangents on this
"How Much of the Internet Is Fake? Turns Out, a Lot of It, Actually."
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018...t-is-fake.html

Old 12-30-18, 12:11 PM
These are scam or harmful websites that typically you are redirected to by some peice of code running on whatever potentially benign site you are visiting.

I have seen them a lot when using a mobile browser, even when visiting "safe" well known sites.

Usually they are not harmul in and of themselves, but if you are seeing them regularly, there could potentially be some security issues you might want to address. I can't think of a single instance were someone will ask you to contact them because they found a virus on your device.

Things I would recommend to try to avoid getting redirected to these sites:

1. Make sure your browser is up-to-date
2. Utilize an add blocker such as adblock plus (this works wonders for me)
3. Make sure you have antivirus on your device
4. Make sure your device is up-to-date on its patches.

That do wonders right there. I can go into more detail into things you can do it you want.

Source: I work in IT Security.