Adding images to questions...

Old 01-11-19, 10:37 AM
Adding images to questions...

I have NO idea where to post this, and I couldn't find some simple way to send an email to the site manager or moderator or whoever would know...

Is there some way, when adding an image to a post on this website, to get it DIRECTLY from my computer rather than having to go through the laborious and inefficient process of starting an ftp client, copying the jpg to my website, opening the website in a browser to make sure the image is visible, copying the URL, putting the URL into the popup on the image icon, then finally going to the start of the URL and removing the extra "HTTP//"?

This is the only site left where I'm still having to do that (everywhere else I ever put images lets me grab them directly from my computer), so I figure I'm missing something that's obvious about a more efficient way...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-19, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Is there some way, when adding an image to a post on this website, to get it DIRECTLY from my computer rather than having to go through the laborious and inefficient process of starting an ftp client, copying the jpg to my website, opening the website in a browser to make sure the image is visible, copying the URL, putting the URL into the popup on the image icon, then finally going to the start of the URL and removing the extra "HTTP//"?
say what, lol?

Just click on "Go Advanced" (yellow button below reply box), then click on the paper clip (attach) to upload a pic!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 01-11-19, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
May not work on a phone. .............................

Old 01-11-19, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Yes it does. I think many people just aren't intuitive enough to figure it out. Or they do everything right but forget to hit "upload".

Old 01-11-19, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
I doubt he would be able to go thru all that on a phone easily, so guessing he's using a computer.

Old 01-11-19, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
So just tested uploading a pic on my IPhone. Yes you can, but a little more complicated.

Old 01-11-19, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
On my Android tablet there is no Advanced button. Posts here seems to indicate that is true for some but not all Android phones.

Old 01-11-19, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
You probably need to select "desktop site" from your browser settings. Not all full site options are available on all mobile devices unless you request the full site, because the mobile site limits your options.

Old 01-11-19, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
I added that piece about selecting desktop site to the picture thread.

Old 01-11-19, 09:26 PM
Yes, I'm using an actual computer.

There's NO "advanced button" I can find anywhere on this screen. I have two yellow buttons but one says "Submit Reply" and the other says "Preview Post".
Below that there's an "Additional Options" box, but there's no button I can find anywhere in there that says "advanced" anything...

BUT, if I click the paperclip instead of the icon for an image, I THINK it'll let me upload a file, which hopefully can be an image, and which hopefully will get put in-line rather than at the bottom of the post...

I'll try it that way next time I need to insert an image... But WHERE is the yellow "Advanced" button?

Old 01-12-19, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
If you're hitting the "New Reply" yellow box to reply, then you're already in advanced mode. That "New Reply" box automatically takes you to advanced.
Under the "New Reply" box, you'll see a "Quick Reply" box. A lot of people just start typing a reply in there. You'll find the "Go Advanced" yellow box under that.
So if you're already in the advanced mode, then yes, the paperclip allows you to upload pics. After it's uploaded, you'll need to click on the paperclip again to see the image/s you just uploaded. Then just click on them to add them to your message.

Old 01-12-19, 07:37 AM
... you'll need to click on the paperclip again to see the image/s you just uploaded.
That had me wondering the first time, I'd upload it then couldn't figure out where it was.

... hopefully will get put in-line rather than at the bottom of the post.
Click where you want the picture then click the paperclip again. If more than one pic it's best to put it a couple spaces down to separate the images.

I think that makes sense.

Old 01-13-19, 11:27 AM
The fact that the 'Advanced' button doesn't show up might be due to whichever browser you're using. Changing browsers might change the result.

If you don't want to FTP to your personal website, you can upload the image via HTTP to one of the free online image hosts, like imgur.com or bild.me. The upside is that they provide you with the HTML code for the image, a line of text you copy into your post and, Bada-Bing, ...image.