Computer will not fully start out of sleep, fan roars, monitor beeps.

Old 01-27-19, 11:05 AM
Computer will not fully start out of sleep, fan roars, monitor beeps.

So this problem has been happening about once a month for 5-8 months. Unsure as I would just restart it by the power button. Now it is about 1-2 a week. I took it to a computer repair center and as I could not replicate the problem right there they only could go by the 'beep warnings' I wrote down. I have Speccy and Cpuid for stats if anything is needed. Here's the issue:

After leaving the computer in sleep mode, this could be 2 days or even 4 hours (like last night), when I tap a key to wake the computer up or use the mouse the fan in the back will roar full speed for 2-3 seconds while the monitor beeps like it is receiving a signal to turn on, but does not. The printer will also boot up and do an automatic configure. Initially when it happened there would be 3 Beeps coming from the computer tower. After searching I found it was failing RAM. I had 4 sticks (2g, 1g, 2g, 1g) in the machine and removed them all to upgrade to 8 gig (4g, 0, 4g, 0). I do not think the computer store gave me 'new' as I ordered as they are different batch numbers but still dual kit. Now when the computer boots up and freezes like it does there is no more 3 Beeps. So at least the RAM issue is fixed.

When the freeze happens it is like the computer is half awake when coming out of sleep, the keyboard is red and does not change to blue (Corsair custom light settings, red is default) so I know the desktop does not load. Sitting and waiting (as if updates are coming through) does nothing. I have to power down with the button and restart. No error screens, no more warning beeps, no indication anything happened. I am attempting to back up my files but cannot afford another PC.

What sites usually ask for:
Gateway DX4850
Windows 7 Home Premium
NVidia GeForce GTX 460
600 (I think, may be 800) power supply
8 (4x2) gigs ram

I have searched google and this forum for a while, same with Reddit, and while there were glimpses of what could be wrong I have found no situation that exactly fits. Kind of difficult when you explain "half asleep computer"

Thanks in advance: Son of Willywhy and failed computer repairer

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-19, 11:31 AM
Try this.

twenty-five characters

Old 01-27-19, 11:38 AM
Thank you, I have seen this before and went through the steps. Well except for the clean boot part, I will just try them all again. It is like I said there are similar but not totally exact problems. I never get a blue screen or any error screens. Drivers had been updated previously.

Old 01-27-19, 12:25 PM
Years ago, I had a problem with my computer not coming out of sleep mode. I don't remember exactly what the symptoms were or what OS I was running at the time (may have been Win7). The problem turned out to be a bad power supply. The 5VSB (5 volt standby power) was inadequate to let the computer come out of sleep. I replaced the power supply and it's been fine ever since.

I'm not saying this is your problem, however if you can't find anything else wrong, it might be worth a try, especially if you have a spare power supply on hand (I always keep a spare power supply on hand).

Old 01-27-19, 12:33 PM
So far while going through the list I have found these errors.
1. Attempting to update the video card.
Name:  comp1error.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  17.0 KB
2. Going through the device properties. The 3 keyboard options allow the computer to awaken it. But I notice in system devices the Corsair Bus (which I can only assume is the 2 usb keyboard) has an error on it. But I have no clue to fix that even though the keyboard is updated.
Name:  comp2error.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  20.7 KB

Also there is no sleep button on the keyboard so cannot try that (on the weblink) and moving the mouse will not boot it out of the half sleep state.

Old 01-27-19, 12:36 PM
Bob14525
Years ago, I had a problem with my computer not coming out of sleep mode.[...] I replaced the power supply and it's been fine ever since.

I'm not saying this is your problem, however if you can't find anything else wrong, it might be worth a try, especially if you have a spare power supply on hand (I always keep a spare power supply on hand).
I never thought about that, this is actually my only power supply because I had to upgrade with the video card. Is there a way to test the power supply?

Old 01-27-19, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know of any easy way to check the power supply. You could try to monitor the +5VSB line (on large 24-pin connector from power supply) and see if the voltage drops when trying to bring the system out of sleep, but I'm not sure if you could catch a short voltage drop with a meter (may not respond quick enough).

Trying a new supply is the only surefire way that I know to test this theory. If you have another supply (which I know you currently don't have), you can usually hook it up without removing the old supply. Usually the power leads are long enough to connect to the motherboard with the new supply laying next to the computer. That way you can try the supply without going to the trouble of removing the old supply. If that solves the problem, then you replace the old supply.

Old 01-28-19, 09:03 AM
I'm going to try to find a new or used power supply and see if that makes a difference. I went behind the tower and I hear what sounds like a quite 56k modem/electric morse code noise coming from the back top where the supply is near. Now if it is coming from the fan in the supply or not I do not know but I been back there enough to know that is not a normal sound from it while running.

Old 01-28-19, 09:10 AM
Also, this video LINK is close to what I am hearing. I read about how if the system is using a lot of power (gaming or photoshop) this may happen but as it is I am hearing it just normally. Not my video but it is close to the sound.

Old 01-30-19, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Try shutting off all screen saver options. Maybe there is some conflict.

Old 01-30-19, 11:58 AM
Roaring fan = Check the motherboard for bad capacitors, can send false overheat setting which roars the fan then shuts down the computer.

I had this on a Dell Precision 390, (similar vintage)

Old 01-31-19, 07:20 AM
Maybe your video driver and Windows are not coordinating properly on the sleep state. If this started 8 months ago, then maybe at that time one of W7 updates caused incompatibility with your current video driver for handling the sleep state. Or maybe you installed a new video driver 8 months ago which caused an incompatibility for handling the sleep state.

Windows and the hardware drivers have to communicate with each other to go in and out of sleep mode. I would check to see if the video driver was changed or updated in the last 8 months. Also, if you donít have the latest video driver I would install the latest.

If the latest video driver doesnít make a difference, then if you have a Windows restore point older than 8 months, maybe you could restore the system to that point, just for testing, to see if sleep mode works again. If it did then you would know that probably a Windows update caused the problem.