BEWARE of phony browser update messages

Old 02-22-19, 08:38 AM
BEWARE of phony browser update messages

Earlier this morning I got a message warning me that my Chrome browser was dangerously out of date and advising me to fix the problem by clicking their button.

Except I wasn't using Chrome browser, I was using Brave, so I knew it was a scam. I just closed that tab and went my merry way.

Then a few minutes later, I got the same message on Firefox (but at least this time it correctly identified the browser). This is a screen shot:

I have all my browsers configured to update automatically so I know this was phony too. I right-clicked on the "Update" button to see what the link was and, sure enough, it was nothing to do with Firefox or Mozilla.

http://alonhadat24h.vn/<redacted>/something.dot.zip

I edited the link before posting so you couldn't follow it by accident. Don't know what's in that zip file but I'll wager it's something pretty nasty.

The URL claims to be Vietnamese but the server is actually located in Laos, which is usually a sign of someone up to no good.

I don't know how this happened on two browsers but it was on a Linux OS so I don't think it's malware. Both times I was following a link from an MMA news aggregation website (mmabuzzsaw.com) so it might have been DNS or DNS cache-related, but I've got to be somewhere else and don't have time to investigate further.

As always, never click on a link unless you know to a certainty who sent it and trust them. By right-clicking on the "Update" button I was able to see this IS NOT from Mozilla or anyone Mozilla-ish.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-19, 09:56 AM
That link should be deleted or corrupted so no one can click it.

EDIT

Sorry I didn't look close enough. The link is already corrupted.