ASUS Laptop Cooling Fan

Old 02-24-19, 07:38 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
ASUS Laptop Cooling Fan

I would say the ASUS forums are the worst I have seen, no way you can even post a question

Anyway my 4 years old ASUS 17” laptop, model K750J developed a noise which I pinpoint to the cooling fan. When I opened the laptop the fan and the CPU copper cooling tubes are one unit so I guess I have to purchase a complete assembly. I have no problem replacing the assembly but I’m looking for a reliable place to purchase it.

Any idea from where? I found the “laptopking” has my part but when I ask question about shipping I get no replies so I dont want to place an order when I get no service. My part is about $75 + shipping

Thanks

Old 02-24-19, 09:19 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Try putting a very small drop of light duty machine oil at the bearing. This will often quite the fan noise.
Did you try going directly to ASUS for repair parts?
On a four year old laptop, I would go with whatever you can find on e-Bay. After 5 years, you're due for a new unit.

Old 02-24-19, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Posting the model number of the laptop would be beneficial to any discussion.

Old 02-24-19, 11:43 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I've got a pair of netbooks, oldest is a Samsung going on 10 years old-

Clean the fan with some q-tips to get the dust off and make sure it's balanced, tiny drop of oil to lubricate the bearings.

Also note that sometimes system updates will reset fan settings.
I've got a HP netbook where the default fan setting is an annoying slow-then-fast-then-slow pattern, updates require going back setting to "FAN ON"...

Old 02-24-19, 11:43 AM
The complete model number is: ASUS K750JN-DB71-CA

Old 02-24-19, 12:10 PM
The first thing I did was to try and put some oil but there is no place for it. In the attached picture the center part of the fan has a cover and it’s not removable. On the back side of it it’s the fan case and you see nothing to put oil. I did cleaned the blades and a lot of dirt came off. The problem is not constant, some days the laptop runs with no noise and some days after she starts the noise will start after a few minute. I have a utility monitoring CPU temeratures and it has never gone to more than 45 deg. C which is normal. The noise is a low pitch humming noise

Yes I went to ASUS for parts but as I mentioned their site is the worst I seen and when you click send us email I just get my personal info page, no way to send email.

eBay has some similar used units, but I don’t trust how good they are. They are selling for USD30.00 + 6-8 weeks shipping. I also found some in Europe but again they are used. Laptopking they sell it brand new but I can’t get them to reply to my emails – perhaps they are out of business?

The fan assembly is ASUS K750J K750A K750JB
ASUS part #: 13NB01X1AM0101, SKU: 13N0-PMA0102

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-19, 12:14 PM
You put a drop of oil right in center. Just a small drop of light duty sewing machine oil.

Old 02-24-19, 12:15 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
I never owned or messed with laptops but it doesn’t sound right that the cooler fan isn’t separate from the heatsink. I see that laptopking sells the fan and heatsink as a unit as you say (and for near $80), but take a look at this link. It looks like you can buy a replacement fan (although not OEM) separately:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Coolin.../dp/B071S41FBV

Old 02-24-19, 12:23 PM
For $23 + free shipping, go for it.

Old 02-24-19, 12:28 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Hope that's right - looking again is the X750 model different from the K750 model? Just noticed the difference. Looks like the same laptop fan - but my eyes are not great LOL.

Yea - looking a little more I think that's for a different type of cooling unit, not the heatsink in the laptop. Oh - crap!

Probably only comes as fan/heatsink combo , which I guess is still pretty much standard. I recollected buying a fan separately (but not for laptop) - but probably just my imagination.

Last edited by zoesdad; 02-24-19 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 01:03 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
[quote=kolias]
I would say the ASUS forums are the worst I have seen, no way you can even post a question [/img]

I'd double check your browser - both Firefox and Chrome have gotten quite fussy about connecting to sites with expired certificates etc. I had to install an "act like basic Internet Explorer" plugin to access some county courts and realtor related sites.

Old 02-24-19, 01:49 PM
I tried to remove the heatsink from the fan but it’s almost impossible despite the connection looks like is done with some kind of fiber tape.

So I just bought one through eBay UK from China and I keep my fingers crossed, lol. Looks to be identical to mine but have to wait until end of March.

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-19, 03:23 PM
The new unit is now installed and works perfect. Kept the old unit, one day I may get brave enough to open the fan case and see where I can put some oil on it.

I will check my browser but my experience with Asus service is not good, when I bought the laptop had to talk to them and never got anywhere because of language problems.

Would I buy an Asus again? although the cooling fan went bad in 5 years and the battery does not hold charge anymore I would say yes. I love the laptop and I guess you taking a chance today no matter which brand you buy. I thought Dell was top of the line but a friend bought a Dell laptop and the warranty was expiring just before X-Mas and due to holidays we called early January. The problem was the power button was not functioning so could not turn the unit ON and after answering some questions the guy said it’s the motherboard and will cost USD450.00 to fix + shipping (paid CAD1,000 to buy it new) and after 2 months of emails with different people at Dell eventually they honor the warranty and fix the unit for free including the shipping.

So problems exist with every brand!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: