ascii symbols

Old 04-19-19, 08:37 AM
ascii symbols

I know how to use ascii symbols. But memory fails me. I thought that there was a ascii chart that could be called up on the computer screen that gives all the codes. Maybe I'm thinking it only exist using something like MS Word? Or do I download a chart and print it out?
Also the typical check mark or tick (as the British refer to it) is not available unless using Wingdings in MS Word?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-19, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
If you're running Windows type "character map" into the search box. It will let you select the character copy and paste style and it also gives you the code like alt 247.

Old 04-19-19, 10:09 AM
Thanks PD, that's exactly what I was looking for. I could not remember the search term "character map" . Found the directory it's in and made a short cut to the desktop. ☺(TAHOMA U+263A white smiling face)

Old 04-19-19, 10:29 AM
Norm –

I don’t think a check mark would be part of the original ASCII code. 7-bit ASCII, sometimes called half ASCII ( lol) I think is by design also a subset of USASCII (full 8-bit ASCII) and UNICODE(s). That is, the first 128 characters are the same in all sets.

That is 00 (000 0000) to 7F (111 1111) are the same in all code sets – but I don’t think a check mark is one of those 128 characters.

(forgot to say not in 8-bit ASCII either)

(OK - just read last post and see that the chart you can call up satisfies the need. I thought you would be just pulling up an ascii chart and scratching your head - but looks like you are good to go. Good!!!)

Last edited by zoesdad; 04-19-19 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added "OK...
Old 04-20-19, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used Ascii Table - ASCII character codes and html, octal, hex and decimal chart conversion for years... you can probably tell from the way the site looks. But it still works!

Old 04-21-19, 10:00 AM
Looks like there are multiple versions of extended (8-bit) ASCII these days. Much more capability and complexity today than in the stone age when I started programming back in the 1960’s. Back then there were ASCII and EBCDIC – and that was it lol! Wasn’t that hard to look through a hex dump and spot the different characters right away.

That character map is a nice Windows feature.

Old 04-21-19, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know if you can do it in Windows but in Linux I reassigned most of the number pad to special characters. -----