Printer not talking with new computer

Old 04-22-19, 06:39 AM
Printer not talking with new computer

I bought a new computer Saturday morning, windows 10, and used Zinstall winwin to transfer files from my old computer to my new computer. This program worked very well by the way. I have gone into my file managers on both computers, compared statistics, and everything looks great in that regard. The problem that I have though, is that although the printer shows up on my new computer everything is going into que, and not getting to the printer. I have tried deleting the printer from the new computer and reinstalling it, with no success so far. This evening I am going to try a new USB cable from the computer to the printer, but the one I have is only a couple months old, so I donít believe that there is anything wrong with it. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-19, 06:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you tried downloading a new printer program. When I replaced my pc awhile back the printer wouldn't work and using the old start up disk didn't help. My son downloaded a new start up file and then it worked .... not that I know why.

Old 04-22-19, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try this. Choose something to print & select print. That should bring up the little window that allows you to choose options like Portrait or landscape, number of copies, which pages to print etc.
There is an option of which printer to send it to.

If you had more than one printer in the past, the old printer files are still on the old computer after adding your new printer along with your current printer info. When you used that program to move your files, it don't know what printer you currently use so it transferred all your printer files.... old & new.

So, the print options within your operating system, doesn't know what printer to assign the document to, to be printed. So, when you choose something to print, and that little print window appears, look for the seleted printer option or (in my case) Destination. Then you can choose which printer to send it to.... which will be your current printer.
I think...... your computer/software is sending the document to the cue to be printed but the wrong printer is assigned, so its trying to send it to a printer that's not connected.... therefore its staying in cue.

Old 04-22-19, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys. The printer is only a few months old, and did not come with a disk, but I did go to the HP website and download the files for the printer, but to no avail so far. And I did go into the printer box that you mentioned to make sure that the correct printer was selected, but to no avail there so far either. Based on the things I have tried so far, my thinking is that some of the characteristics from the old computer are in some deep files in the new computer now, and are confusing the transmission.

Old 04-22-19, 07:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You mentioned a printer cable. I know you compared settings between the old & new computers but.. look at your settings of how the computer connects to the printer. Is the setting for a cable or is it trying to connect via blue-tooth or wifi?

Both the printer & computer both should have blue-tooth abilities so you might try that rather than using the cable. If you have wifi through a service like Comcast/Xfinity, AT&T etc, try that. Mine is setup through my Xfinity wifi.

Just make sure of those setting from the computer to the printer on how its trying to connect to the printer.

Old 04-22-19, 08:06 AM
You probably have 2 copies of the printer on the "new" computer.
The initial from the Zinstall files, and a 2nd copy setup when the new computer-hardware saw the printer.

You MIGHT also have an issue if the cloned computer's "Name" and local IP address are the same as the old computer's name and IP address.

First, log in as administrator, go to printers and devices, uninstall all versions of the printer.

Second, open Device Manager, I've found that the cloning process will include useless copies of the old computers video card, sound card and drives.
I delete the greyed-out drivers for unneeded hardware on the old computer.

Third, you want to uninstall apps that don't apply to the new computer (e.g. fax program on tablet etc.)

Frourth, I usually run CCleaner after cloning to remove unneeded

Old 04-22-19, 04:17 PM
Well that was easy enough. As was mentioned, and as I had been thinking, it appears that I had two sets of printer files on the new pc. Unfortunately I can't provide much more than that as far as helping anyone else because I'm not sure exactly where I was, but I finally found a folder that had two printer files with the same name, used the date and time to decide which one belonged, deleted the other, and the printer started clicking, so have now successfully printed Word, Excel, and Adobe files, just like it's supposed to. Thank you.

Old 04-22-19, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great, glad it worked out for you! Thanks for letting us know.