Power Surge Keeps Baking Switches

Old 05-24-19, 09:00 AM
Power Surge Keeps Baking Switches

I have a GigE switch plugged into a good surge protector. Despite this, the switch and/or power supply has fried on 5 separate occasions in the past 2 years during lightning storms, most recently last night.

One of the things plugged into the switch is an outdoor WiFi hotspot connected to about 300 feet of CAT6 cable. It's PoE. I only started having problems after I hooked this thing up.

I'm assuming I need some sort of Ethernet surge protector, but where does it go?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-19, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Is 300' of cable outside ?
How is it run ...... between trees... ?
Were these lightning strikes close to you ?

I'm not sure how effective a surge protector will be. There is no ground in the Ethernet cable so nothing to hard connect to a ground rod. The surge protectors as I know them are similar to the ones that the phone company used and are basically spark gaps.

Old 05-24-19, 10:24 AM
It’s 300 feet outside, yes. It’s buried for the first hundred feet, then Is sort of buried another 200 feet through the woods until it gets to a tree where the access point is mounted at the woods edge. I see they make “surge protectors” for outdoor Ethernet installations but in reality they are ESD absorbers. I don’t know if that’s what I need. Whatever is happening is happening since I plugged the outdoor cable into the switch.

And it's weird how it happens. The first time the switch cooked - just the power light would light up but it wouldn't recognize any cables. The second time the power supply cooked. The third time it was the switch again. The 4th time, and last night, the power supply cooked in such a way that it wouldn't power the switch enough - power light was dim. I replaced the power supplies and the switch was fine.

Old 05-25-19, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem I think is that 300 ethernet cable is basically acting as an antenna. Any atmospheric discharge will be easily picked up by it, and is obviously discharging into your poor switch.

Have you considered using a media converter and using fiber to stretch that distance? There are some cheap media converters these days:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ether.../dp/B003CFATL0

Old 05-25-19, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
I had considered recommending fiber but power is still needed out there.

Zorfdt liked this post.