Lenovo Slowwwww

Old 06-08-19, 07:21 PM
Lenovo Slowwwww

I have a 2017 Lenovo thinkpad running Windows 10 that ran great when it was new, but has slowed way down in responding to commands etc. I have removed a lot of files to flash drives that I didn't need to be live on this computer but that didn't help at all. What can I do to speed things up?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-19, 11:36 PM
Group Moderator
My first thought is always to go to the Performance tab in Task Manager (may have to first select More Details to see the tabs) and see if you can find the bottleneck. In the laptop I'm on at the moment, it's always the C drive that is the bottleneck; the RAM and CPU are not the culprits.

Old 06-09-19, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use an adware & malware cleaner in addition to your antivirus & run those.

I use Malwarebytes & Adwcleaner....... both are free to download & use. There are versions of both of those to buy if you prefer.
Malwarebytes will take about 30 - 45 minutes or so to run depending on your machine. Adwcleaner takes about 2 or 3 minutes.

Old 06-09-19, 08:36 AM
Recent Windows 10 updates take a good bit of disk space, first step is running "Disk Cleanup" for local files, then run again for system files.

Make backups of files, and then run a command prompt disk checkup using "chkdsk".

Use ctrl-alt-delete to bring up task manager, see how much stuff is running in the background.

Open Settings-Applications and remove things that you don't use.

For Windows-10, you have to dig a bit, BUT you can disable the Windows-10 auto-update that keeps adding candy crush and other bloatware to your computer.

I highly suggest using CCleaner by Piriform to find and remove old outdated programs.

Old 06-09-19, 10:13 AM
Thanks! I have some work to do now!

Old 06-09-19, 02:27 PM
Wow, I used Malwarebytes and removed over 500 items to quarantine, and did that, I went to applications and removed those that I could identify. I went to task manager and checked the meter on "performance" and found a lot of activity and usage going on in the C and D drives. I do not know where to enter Chkdsc to run the analysis further to fix or clean these drives. I did a search for optimizing drives and it brought up a settings window, which I changed from weekly to daily optimization schedule a minute ago. Some further help here would be appreciated. I can tell already that things have improved imensly! Thank you all!

Last edited by WML13; 06-09-19 at 02:43 PM. Reason: additional informations