Laptop charger

Old 07-02-19, 04:36 PM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Laptop charger

I have a Dell laptop that was manufactured in 2017. I get a message that states: "The AC power adapter is not recognized. Please connect the correct Dell AC power adapter for best system operation".

The adapter I am using is the one that came with the laptop when I bought it. It won't charge the computer. Is it possible that something else is wrong with the unit that I get that message. I called Dell and was talking to someone from another country, who I'm sure is programmed to say certain things. He told me I must send the laptop and the adapter to their repair people and it would cost me $10 before they do anything because the warranty has run out. So I'm wondering if it might be something else or would a new adapter fix my problem.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 07-02-19, 05:03 PM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
It's very possible (and probable) that your AC adapter has failed. It's not uncommon to have an AC adapter fail. In fact, it's more likely that the AC adapter has failed than the laptop itself. Many of the Dell laptops have an LED that lights up when the adapter is plugged in. If your adapter has an LED, check to see if it's lit.

If you have a friend who has a Dell laptop, you could try your laptop with their adapter (assuming the adapter plug fits your laptop). Otherwise, you could just purchase a new adapter. You can pickup a relatively inexpensive one on Amazon or eBay (the "real" Dell adapter are somewhat pricey).

Old 07-02-19, 09:39 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Have you confirmed (seen for yourself) that it is NOT charging? IOW, are you just getting a nag screen or do you also have failure to charge?

I searched on:

dell laptop "power supply not recognized"

... and got lots of hits. In most cases the resolution was changing or deleting something in software (= free) but the exact solution varied by the exact model laptop. You might try searching and including the full model name/number.

One quick one to try is to open Device Manager:

( Start> Run> devmgmt.msc <Enter>)

...look under "Batteries," "Uninstall" both entries and reboot. All you're uninstalling is the drivers and the OS will reinstall them automatically at next reboot. But the point is you get two fresh, clean copies of the drivers.

Sometimes big box PC manufacturers install processes in their laptops that check to confirm you're using an OEM battery and an OEM power supply. And if you're using 3rd party they'll nag you to get OEM (which ought to be illegal, in my humble but unerringly accurate opinion, because it's a blatantly deceptive practice). I have a Sony (pardon my french) laptop that does that ... unless you locate the service throwing the message in Service Manager and disable it. If it's not the PSU (and a multimeter could figure that our for you) then the process that tests to confirm everything is still OEM could have gone a bit wonky. Most of the fixes I found said to do something like (as I already mentioned) delete the battery drivers. Another was to power down, remove the battery, reboot, change some system settings, shut down and reinstall the battery. Exactly which fix to apply varied according to the exact laptop model but I did see instances of this exact same error message dating back to 2008, so Dell has been perfecting screwing this up for quite some time.

Old 07-03-19, 04:13 PM
E
Thanks for the reply. The charger I have is the one that came with the laptop when I bought it in 2018. I have been getting that message for at least a month and perhaps longer. I get a green light on the charger but it doesn't charge. Now the battery icon tells me that I am almost completely out of charge so I turned the laptop off. I ordered another charger but it won't be until next week so I will try your suggestion with the Device Manager. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-19, 06:28 AM
E
I'm beginning to think the battery is bad. I see the green light from the charger is on but it's not doing anything. So I will wait until Monday when I am supposed to get the new charger and go from there. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-04-19, 08:54 AM
T
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
Dell laptop power supplies have a "chip" that the operating system looks for. If it doesn't see it, you'll get the message you described (and it won't charge the battery!). They sometimes fail but can be fried if the pin in the middle of the plug is shorted to one side of the power supply; like when trying to measure charger voltage with a volt-ohm meter (ask no questions!).

Replacement
power supplies are available, but if you buy other than original equipment, you might want to buy more than 1 since and off-brand "chip" may not be recognized (remember, no questions).

Old 07-05-19, 06:13 PM
E
Thanks for the info. I ordered a new power adapter and it just came in today and all is well. Thankfully I don't have to buy a new battery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: