Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Memory

Visiting Guest

05-31-01, 02:05 PM   #1  
Swamprose
When I purchased my HW Pavillion, it came with 64 Megs of Ram. Since then, I've added enough memory for it to show 191.0MB Ram. I've let Windows manage my virtual memory as is recommended, but I'm now wondering if I should do this?
Is the memory distributed right with the other programs? On System info tab it states 191 MB total (65% load), and my resourses show around 65%. I'm sure this isn't enough, so could someone please inform me how to distribute this memory to make it go around, and how to free up some resources??? Many thanks from the Swamprose.
Am running Windows 98 4.10 (Build 2222)

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-31-01, 07:02 PM   #2  
My experience has shown that Win9X virtual memory is best managed by the Windows OS. Your physical memory (191 mb) is fairly constant.

The resources you want to free have nothing to do with memory per se. Rather it has more to do with programs running in the background. Ones which you never see.

..............if I had only 65% of my physical memory (196 mb)available to me, I would not complain.

Visiting Guest

05-31-01, 08:57 PM   #3  
Swamprose
Memory

Thanks for the speedy reply. Just thought I had all that memeory, and it was just mostly sitting there idle. Didn't really know if I needed to distribute it around or not, so thanks again. Swamprose

Visiting Guest

06-02-01, 11:33 PM   #4  
skim35
Under Windows 98, there is no good way to control memory. Resource memory is different from Virtual memory. It is something left over from 16-bit Win 3.1 days. Microsoft wanted to make 32-bit OS while keeping compatibility with Windows 3.1. Entire system must resource memory so the size must be fixed. Even if you have more memory available, you cannot allocate it to resource memory.

In other OS(NT4, Windows 2000), there is no resource memory. Memory allocated for resource is contained in program's process space.

Generally, you should not change OS memory settings. Most 32-bit Operating Systems uses "Dynamic Caching" Your cache size (memory allocated for improving memory access) changes as the system memory changes. Hard coding virtual memroy size may change the cache behavior.

Visiting Guest

06-03-01, 05:16 AM   #5  
Swamprose
Memory

Glad I came back to this forum before I messed up my puter, altough I really not dared do anything without asking someone in the first place. My thanks to all who comes forward to anwer these questions, for I know we can all learn something from each other. I had dkerr running around in circles there for awhile, and I'm truly sorry about that. Just had three computers at one time trying to straighen out. He helped me get one going tho, and I do much appreciate that. Bye now from a sad Swamprose this a.m., for I just lost a precious sister last night when Heaven gained another angel.
May God shower His Blessings on all of you.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-10-01, 10:04 AM   #6  
Hello: Swamprose

Although I do agree with almost everything mentioned in the replies to your questions, I do tend to disagree with the 65% physical memory.

There is no substitute for RAM. Your computer mentioned here is fine with the 191 it has. The problems arise when too many unneeded programs are running in the background that aren't needed.

These are the program icons you see next to the clock on the right side of the task bar. The more icons there are visable there, the less resources that are available for additional operations. Like web surfing, printing, scanning and word programs, etc.

It is always best to have about 80-85% in the system, user and GDI resources free at startup and during beginning running. These resources will become lower in value {decline} as you continue to use the computer.

What you may want to do is open those programs which you do not need running all the time and select the option to NOT allow them to run at startup.

Whatever programs windows wants to and has to have running allow those to remain. All you really need to add or allow to run additionally is virus protection.

If this applies to you:
Schedule nothing for automatic operation. Do the updates and mantainence etc. manually, for overall best results.

If that option is not available from within the program, do this:

Click Start
Select RUN...a dialogue box will open anmed RUN.
Type in MSCONFIG
Click OKAY
Then go to the startup tab and click it.

There will be several programs. Each will be a box with check marks. UNCHECK {de select} the optional programs YOU downloaded and are running {next to that clock} or those you ADDED from a CD or floppy disk...ONLY!
Allow all other boxes to remain checked!
Click the OKAY selection to complete the proceedure.

Doing this will stop those unwanted and unneeded programs from loading up upon startup next time you turn on the computer or after a reboot. Doing this will free up more resources.

Another option would be to install {from windows} the resource meter. It will run in the clock portion of the right side bar but the GREEN vertical bars will allow you to see the available resources instantly. The resource meter uses only a tiny amount of resource. In return it offers valuable information.

Once this resource meter is running, holding the pointer on it will allow a tiny window to open just below or above it. There you will be shown the 3 section breakdown of the available resources there are for the current operation of the computer.

These resources will become reduced as you use the computer and perform normal operations. They do usually drop drastically during printing and scanning etc.

Without enough RAM the computer can and may freeze up, run slow and even crash. This is prone to happen when the resources meter indicates less then 65% of the resources are left in the system.

The meter will turn "RED" if too many resources are used up. Prior to that, the "GREEN BARS" will decline and during printing, as an example, the indicator may turn red and printing, etc. will fail or stop. Heavy graphics web pages also do the same to the meter if available RAM is low.

I have 192 megs of ram. 128 added from the 64 OEM and the resource meter running all the time. I prefer to use shortcut icons next to the start side of this computer then have those programs running in the background.

Since doing so and adding RAM all done 2 years ago, the computer has operated flawlessly and consistently without exceptions...

These are my personal experiences based solely upon the useage of this computer. Your results may vary.

Sincerely,
Tom

Visiting Guest

06-10-01, 06:38 PM   #7  
Swamprose
Do so appreciate that info, Tom. I will definately look into it, although I have nothing running except CS icon,which I don't really need, virus protection, volume control, intelli mouse and task scheduler, which I never use. I defrag at least every two weeks, and scandisk also. I will give this a try although I haven't had a freeze-up except once in the past two weeks until I installed a new scanner. Have that up and running right now----I think, ha. Again thanks. Swamprose

CAL

06-10-01, 09:09 PM   #8  
Swamprose

Do as I suggested and run the maintance tasks manually. It's easy to do. Just go to start, select programs, then select accessories then system tools and select one at at a time starting with clipboard viewer, then disk cleaner, scan disk and finally defrag.

The entire process takes time but I found doing this while not working actively on this computer contraption works best.

Next is to open the scanner program and de-select "Load At Startup" if available there. If not, uncheck it in msconfigs "Startup Tab." Doing so will not allow it to run at startup.

You may also be able to close the scanner icon by right clicking on it and selecting close. However, this doesn't assure it won't run again at the next startup. Only the above methed works always.

When you want to use it, select it from within programs. When finished, close it as discribed above. This applies only once you deselect it in msnconfig.

In my opinion, you have too much running behind the scenes with the scheduler and the scanner. The rest are fine and needed. The other two above are best done manually.

Regards,
Tom

Visiting Guest

06-10-01, 10:27 PM   #9  
Swamprose
Are u sure about the scanner, Tom? It is the virus scanner from Norton used actively to scan all materials downloaded on my puter. For about 3 months I was on the verge of screaming because of illegal operations, and CS shutting down almost as soon as it started. MacAfee wasn't doing the job, but as soon as I installed Nortons and went onto the web, it jumped up and told me I had a bad virus called a worm. Let me know about this, for I don't seem to be having any problems what-so-ever at this time. Thanks, Swamprose

WI

06-11-01, 05:10 AM   #10  
Unfortunatly you cant realy dictate what programs use how much ram, 192Mg is more then enough to do just about anything. I would go ahead and let win98 manage the virtual memory. (bout the only time you would change that is if you liked to Online RPG's or any MMORPG at this time you could go ahead and manage your virtual mem and set it to a max of 256K. I run my machines at 256K, It does reduce the lag a little.

YOu can divi up your mem usage to each device by inputing an IRQ mem line in your sys.ini file (I think. could be win.ini, will have to check my system)

If you stay up 24/7 like I do you will notice a decline in computer response after about 3 days, restarting wipes the slate clean.

There are a few programs out there the "claim" to increase your ram, but its just using some HD space. You can also get a ram cleaning program, that you set up to clean up your ram usage periodicly. will see if I can find the program and leave a link to it later today.

Brian

CAL

06-11-01, 07:29 AM   #11  
Swamprose

Unless my understanding of the word scanner or your useage of the scanner, was incorrect, of course I didn't mean VIRUS scanner. I meant PHOTO / DOCUMENT scanner.

Actually, you do not even have to load the virus scanner either, if your savvy. If you download something, put it on the desktop and right click on it. Select "Scan with Norton AntiVirus."

Norton will then do it's scanning and a dialogue box will appear stating what it found. Usually nothing if the virus scanner files are up to date.

In most cases and for almost everyone online, this method does not apply! It's always best for 99% of those online to have the VIRUS SCANNER running.

Visiting Guest

06-11-01, 10:45 AM   #12  
Swamprose
Hi Tom, thought there might be a slight misunderstanding on your part that time. I meant virus scanner. Norton dropped the icon on my taskbar when I installed. Am afraid to remove it because of the virus I had for about 3 months. I only turn on my photo scanner when needed. Appreciate the reply.Swamprose

Search this Thread