Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

CDRW Problems

TX

06-01-01, 08:08 AM   #1  
I have a HP8140 that I have added a CDRW. When it was installed, it was E drive. I had to run my recovery recently and the drive is now M. My CD drive is D. Can I change the drive letter back to E? How? I can't get my system to acknowledge blank cd's. Also when I use my D drive to install a program it will not install at all or it will only install a portion of the program. If I use the M drive it will install correctly. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Robert

Sponsored Links

WI

06-01-01, 08:49 AM   #2  
Welcome to the world of PCWTF. Have you tried to change your start drive letter on your cdrom and cdrw? under system in the settings area? Unless its greyout you should be able to re drive leter your cdrom and cdrw. Or you could disconnect them both, reboot, let windows load, shut down, reconnect one, reboot, shut down and reconnect then reboot, this may help by having windows re letter the drives to a more acceptacle scheme.

Brian

TX

06-02-01, 06:51 AM   #3  
CDRW Problems

Thanks Brian for the reply. I did go in and change the drive letter on cdrw drive, but that did not solve my problem. When I put a cd in the normal drive it will some times work, other times it just hums as if it is spinning, and other times it won't do any thing. If I put a cd in the cdrw drive it will not show up on "my computer".
Robert

WI

06-04-01, 08:41 AM   #4  
sounds like you will have to uninstall them both, and then reinstall one at a time.

How old is your CD-rom? my old one did the same thing, sometimes it wuold start other times it would sit there and spin. I finaly beat some sense into it with a hammer, it now keeps my trash can from floating off into space.

Brian

p.s. I dont know anything about the CDRW's....yet, I hope to be getting one in the next few weeks.

Search this Thread