Replacing CD-rom

Old 06-01-01, 08:35 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
Yes I have a newer Hewlett Packard and it has a Cd-rom. The question I would like to take out Cd-rom and replace with a DVD-rom, so kids could use to watch DVD's. I can get a dvd-rom at a great price but the installation is almost as much as dvd-drive. On the box it says installation instruction included. Could anyone give me some tips on doing this and tell me if it is something you can do at home . Thanks alot Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-01, 01:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Post Do it yourself!

Installing a drive like this is a snap. If it comes with instructions, all the better, but it's really pretty simple. You'll have to open up the case and take the front panel off. If you're simply replacing the old drive, you'll need to disconnect the IDE and power cables and then remove the screws to take it out of the bay. Then all you need to do is slip the new drive into the bay, secure it with screws (it'll probably come with some, but the ones that held the old drive ought to work too), attach the IDE and power cables, and it's ready to go.

All you have to do after that is to boot up and install the drivers.

Old 06-02-01, 03:49 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
If you can spring for the DVD kit with a hardware decoder instead of the software decoder it is said to have a better picture and process the extra data faster that comes with a DVD movie....Mike