HP desktop computer won't power on at home

Old 10-06-19, 12:30 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
HP desktop computer won't power on at home

my computer i'm using now is old and very slow. friend bought me a HP pavilion desktop w/monitor, keyboard & mouse. This was May 2019. It was a display model and the warranty expired 2 days after purchase. Did call HP up and there is no longer a warranty.

Hooked everything up and worked great, had geek squad transfer programs, pictures and files over to it. Worked great.

One day about 3 months after receiving, it would not power on. the green light in the back above the power cord was on but the switch on top with the white light (power on) button would not light up. So, it was getting juice but would not power on.

I have a contract with geek squad to fix my devices when needed. Called and they could not do it over the internet of course, made an appt. and took the computer w/power cord into the local geek squad. they plugged it in and it worked just fine. Took it home and nope, would not power on.

Took it back into geek squad and same thing. Powered right on and worked fine. He did take it apart as much as he could and looked at the power on switch. Said it looked fine. Took it home but noooooo, green light in back came on but would not power on.

Third time, took everything into geek squad, monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer, power cord. Powered on with no problems and worked fine. He said it may be my surge protector. I have a 825AVR CyberPower surge protector, battery backup which is old, 7+ yrs. old.

Brought everything home and purchased a new surge protector from amazon. It arrived and hooked the computer into it and no dice. The computer will not power on. Again, green light in back is lit but the power on button on top will not light up and power the computer on.

I plugged the computer into another surge protector I have and no go. I plugged the comuter into a different outlet that should be on a different circuit, still no.

It's a 30 mile one way drive into geek squad just to have them plug it in and everything be fine.

What is happening here? Anyone know? suggestions please.

Old 10-06-19, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Take your computer to a friends house and see if it works there. If it does you have a power problem with house. Would have to check voltage with meter .

Old 10-06-19, 03:08 PM
S
Will do. Later in the week. Thank you.

Old 10-06-19, 04:59 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Plug something else, like a lamp, into the receptacle and see if it works.
Does the monitor turn on? Can you get into the monitor offline menu to make adjustments?

Old 10-06-19, 07:31 PM
S
Yes, I used a lamp and outlets all work. I'm using everything with this old computer that I got new with the new computer and everything works fine.

Cannot get into the monitor offline with the new computer to make adjustments bc it won't power on...at all.

Talked with a friend and Friday I will take the new puter over to her office and see if it works there.

Old 10-06-19, 08:11 PM
J
If the monitor won't power on then you must have on issue with the power at the receptacle.
Please confirm the following.
You plug the lamp and the monitor into the same receptacle. The lamp turns on but the monitor does not? The monitor turns on at the geek squad?
If GS didn't use your monitor maybe the monitor is the issue.

Old 10-07-19, 04:04 AM
S
I have plugged the lamp into the same receptacle as the computer. Lamp turns on. The computer does not. The power on button on the computer does not light up. Although, there is a little green light on the back of the computer that does turn on so I know there is electricty going to the computer. The computer will not power on. The white light on the 'power on' button does not light up. But, it does at GS. It works fine at GS. Can access internet, all my files, screen saver works. It's fine there, just not at home.

At home, does not matter what outlet I plug the computer into, it will not power on...no white light. Green light on back is always on so juice is going to it.

Old 10-07-19, 04:11 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Get VOM meter and start measuring your voltage at all your outlets. Are you using the same power pack as GS? Sounds to me the battery is no longer taking a charge. Some units need the battery in place in order to power up from 120v source.

Old 10-07-19, 04:21 AM
S
I don't think GS uses a power pack, they plug it into an outlet in their counter area. I am getting the impression that it may be a voltage problem.

This older computer works fine, no problems with flickering. Turns on every time. Just very slow. Plugged into the same 825AVR Cyber Power surge protector.

I just looked up the 825AVR cyber power and it has a 12 V battery that can be replaced. Maybe that's the problem! Well no, because the new computer should power on when plugged into a normal outlet. AARGH!

Old 10-07-19, 04:56 AM
J
Cannot get into the monitor offline with the new computer to make adjustments bc it won't power on...at all.
You have some sort of power issue. I would not even be trying the PC until you can get at least the monitor to turn on.

Old 10-07-19, 06:42 AM
S
Monitor turns on...everything works but the computer...that, will not turn on.

Old 10-07-19, 07:11 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
Very very weird.

Just to be sure everything is connected the same at GS and your place.
Just the computer,keyboard, mouse and monitor connected with no Ethernet or printer or other accessory correct?

Have you tried firing it up with nothing connected? I have never had a computer that would not do this but then I have never had HP.

I did find the following that may be useful to you.
HP Troubleshooter

Old 10-07-19, 09:35 AM
S
yes, plugged it in with nothing connected other than the power cord and still, no. Thank You for the link, have to work but will try later.

Old 10-07-19, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is a common thing to happen with the HP Pavilions, not sure why.

Have you tried either of the following:
Unplug the power cable from the computer, hold down the power button for 5 seconds, plug the power cable back in

Or
If you feel comfortable opening the case, pop out the battery to clear CMOS (leave it out for about 30 seconds), put it back in, and try powering it up.

Old 10-08-19, 07:18 AM
S
Tried holding down the power button for 5 seconds and then plugging back in but still nothing. Will try popping the battery out later this week.

Thank you.

Old 10-12-19, 12:42 PM
S
ok, here's what I've done so far, took to friends' business and plugged it in, it worked...tried 2 different outlets and it worked fine.

brought home and plugged it into an outlet in the basement and it worked fine.

am purchasing a new battery for my CyberPower 825AVR-G. Will wait to see what happens.

The cyber power unit is 6 years old, purchased from Best Buy.

Old 10-12-19, 05:50 PM
J
Have you been plugging it into the CyberPower 825AVR-G the whole time at home? If so that is your problem.
Battery is not likely going to fix the issue. The UPS should work fine with a dead battery until the power goes out and then with a bad battery you will lose power.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 10-12-19, 06:28 PM
S
it worked fine in the cyberpower for several months and then it would not power on. tried a different surge protector and still no, tried a different outlet on a different circuit in the house and would not power on. today, when i tried it in the basement, it would power on. also, powered on at friend's business.

I thought it should operate fine even if the battery in the cyberpower was no longer good but it does not.

I ordered a new batter thru amazon today but may not get it for a week or two...no prime membership. will see it that works. this old one works fine in the cyberpower right now, go figure.

Old 10-16-19, 08:15 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
What is the voltage at the receptacle where the computer does not work when plugged in?

You might get someone with a lot of experience to unplug and replug the various ribbon connectors and multiconductor rectangular plugs and also the green memory module strips (dimms) inside the computer. This cleans the connections. By experienced I mean someone who gets the ribbon connectors out without tugging on the ribbon cable. Start with the power cord on the outside and the large (usually off white) rectangular connector wired to the power supply box (usually top rear) and plugged onto the main board.

Old 10-16-19, 03:19 PM
S
thanks, the new battery is due here Friday. Will see what happens.

Old 11-01-19, 02:58 PM
S
Hello Everyone, sorry, employer asked me to help out as they are short handed and have been working a LOT.

Put the new battery into the Cyberpower 825AVR last night and today, plugged the computer into it and everything works fine so far. The power on light came on immediately, no problem.

When I have some extra money, I will hire a licensed electrician to come out and look at the outlets that this computer would not power on at. They do concern me.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions/ideas!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: