Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

computer reboot

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-03-01, 12:25 AM   #1  
My computer is a IBM 500mhz using DSL modem. For the last 5-6 weeks it has shut itself down and went to reboot right in the middle of whatever is running. It does not matter if I am online or playing solitaire it just shuts itself off. When I first went to DSL I could be online in about 4 seconds now it takes considerably longer and most of the time it kicks back off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-03-01, 07:10 AM   #2  
bigmike
Software

Well first thing that comes to mind is Windoze. Start doing some <ctrl-alt-del> and see what's running. When is the last time you Defraged or Scandisk? How large is the Internet Explorer Temp file? Over 25 megs I say dump it. Although my temp get's to 100 megs or more before it hiccups. What OS are you running, memory etc and we'll get started. How old is the current build? You play alot of games? Tweaking a computer can take weeks but once it's done they end up like this one, running 24/7 as a server and not a hiccup in over 90 days! I am going to be away from the computer for 7 days but will get back to you ASAP.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-06-01, 05:40 AM   #3  
ref computer reboot

system has a 10 gig hd, I tried to run defrag/scandisk but system goes to reboot before it can finish, using microsoft Internet explorer. I could fix this easily if it had any wood in it as I am a carpeneter but I can't find a piece of wood in this thing anywhere. I play solitaire and Deer HunterII once in awhile the rest of the time its DIY, HGTV and weather channels. I empty temp internet files every time go off line.

Visiting Guest

06-11-01, 10:14 AM   #4  
bigmike
Install

Do you have anything on the drive u don't want to lose? I say format and start over. When problems get this bad u most likley will never get it back to "Normal". Sorry but thats Windoze...

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-17-01, 06:46 PM   #5  
My computer booted up in Safe Mode 3 days ago that let me run defrag all the way thru. Computer seems to be doing better but when offline and playing games such as Deer HunterII or a kid game for my grandson sometimes the screen goes blue and gives a long winded error message and says to hit any key to continue, I hit a key and continue. It seems I am on the right track but need to fine tune, am I right in this assumption? thanks, Mike

WI

06-18-01, 04:31 AM   #6  
Ye dreaded blue screen of death...its missing a final line that tells you that "this machine will self destruct in 1 minute". The BOD will drive you nuts. How often have you gotten the screen? just recently, or sporaticaly since the purchase of the machine? Which OS is it running? The last time you took a can of Canned air to the MOBO?

Brian

p.s. if anyone ever finds a good site for the BOD please let us (me) know...thanks

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-22-01, 04:32 AM   #7  
My computer is 18 months old, I've been getting the blue screen about twice a week for the last 4-5 months. I've never had the cover off but I am getting ready to move and will blow it out before I hook it up. Do you think the problem is in the motherboard?

thanks,
mike

WI

06-22-01, 05:00 AM   #8  
I would first try a rebuilt. format HD, remove all hardware, load os, then load each device one at a time. If that still does not take care of the problem, pick a device that is not important to the application you are running and uninstall it, then use computer to see if the BSoD comes back. you may also ask dker where he gets his bsod error codes, and plug the next one in. If its microsoft best O' luck to you. I spend 3 weeks on ms site looking for a damn stop error I was getting, finaly gave up, then was screwing around with my USB and was checking MS for win2k USB update info, and lo There was the exact error code I was getting, that I could not find when doing a search for the darn thing!

The reason I suggested the MOBO is because a lot of companies are using sub-standard boards in their budget machines (such as the grandaddy of crap, Amptron (personal experience)) these boards seem to have a bit of a stability issue. I finaly purchased a Tyan and have only gotten the BSoD one time in two years, ofcourse Tyan markets towards the server industry so hard as rock stability is a must.

Brian

IL

06-22-01, 07:55 PM   #9  
Don't forget the simple things. A loose power cord in the back of the CPU can cause the same problems. (Bump the cable with your foot and instant reboot.)Even a slight drop in voltage can do the same thing. Do you have a UPS with even a minute or two of battery power? Also, try disabling all power managment in the BIOS and see if the problem goes away.

Search this Thread