Can you please recommend a multimeter?

Old 11-07-19, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you please recommend a multimeter?

Hello all. I am looking for a reliable multimeter but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money for a unit that has features I'll never use. I am not an electrician, just an amateur that does around the house repairs (simple ones when it comes to electricity) and minor work on my vehicles. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and buy a Fluke 117 but I'm not sure if that's overkill or not. Can some of you please give me some advice on brands and models based on your personal experiences?

Thanks,
Robert

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

11-08-19, 05:50 AM
beelzebob
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, check their ads. Sometimes they give a ($5-$10) digital multi-meter free with any purchase. It has most features a homeowner would need. You don't need accuracy.

Old 11-07-19, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 7 Posts
I'm no electrician by any means. Just a guy that piddles around the house.

I have 3 of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-63759.html

I have one of these ... I think: https://www.harborfreight.com/dm600-...ter-64014.html

I use them for voltage only.... DC & AC. Its all I know about. They've served me well for my limited electrical knowledge.

The real guys can give you good advice on different items.

oaklandraider76 voted this post useful.
Old 11-07-19, 06:41 PM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
I agree with Dixie. That 1st one. All you need is what he suggested. It will do more than you need. It's what I use and only occasionally. And in most cases it's only for continuity. Occasionally for voltage measurements. Actually an analog would be even a better choice. You don't usually need specific digital numbers, but just an indication of the voltage or ohms or current. But either type is fine.

Old 11-07-19, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
There are a million Fluke models. A very confusing array of products. As you go up in model numbers the accuracy gets greater and more intricate features are added. If you're set on a Fluke..... go with a more basic model like the 107. Digital meters can be a little difficult to use when doing home wiring repairs as they can measure inductive (ghost voltages) which can confuse repair.

I have many meters..... mostly all Fluke. The one I always carry in on repairs is the Fluke T+ pro. Very basic..... very reliable..... designed for accurate measurements in electric wiring. It's loaded internally and doesn't show ghost voltages.

Fluke T+pro

Old 11-07-19, 10:48 PM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
I have a Fluke 17B+, a great tool!

Old 11-08-19, 05:50 AM
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, check their ads. Sometimes they give a ($5-$10) digital multi-meter free with any purchase. It has most features a homeowner would need. You don't need accuracy.

Norm201, oaklandraider76 voted this post useful.
Old 11-08-19, 05:59 AM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
Those Fluke meters are very good. But they are meant for the professional and serious hobbyist. The OP's opening statement clearly states he only needs it for simple electrical repairs. A simple analog or HF digital meter will be all any home owner needs. If you find yourself needing something with more features and better accuracy then that is the time to get a better and more expensive unit (Fluke).

Old 11-08-19, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Personally I prefer the old analog meters, they are easy for a dummy like me to use. I think I paid $12 for the last one I bought. I've had trouble using the digital ones although most of my experience with them has been with the HF freebies.

Old 11-08-19, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 7 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, check their ads. Sometimes they give a ($5-$10) digital multi-meter free with any purchase.
Actually, now that BeelzeBob mentioned this, I think that's how I got my 1st one.

Old 11-08-19, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I am a Fluke fan and LOVE my 7-600 meter. It is the easiest meter I have ever use and I use it every day. One switch and it does it all. That one has been long discontinued but the Fluke 113 is a good option as it is similarly easy to use.

Another option is the Klein et250. It is also auto-ranging and easy to use but is not a low impedance meter so you may see ghost voltage.

Old 11-08-19, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 227 Votes on 209 Posts
I like the digital Klein model that I got from Home Depot. MM300 I think.

Old 11-10-19, 08:13 PM
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
For what you will be using the meter for, a cheap multimeter around $20~30 range will do just fine.
True RMS is meaningless for most amateur work.
Having auto range makes life a bit easier, but not really required.

If you get a high end model and don't abuse it, it will last a long time.
Or, you can just get bunch of cheap models. Those will still last many years, but I find wires in test leads may break easier (thinner wire).

The choice is up to you.

Personally, I have a old Tektronixs multimeter (probably 20+ years old) and 3 cheap $20 meters.

Old 11-11-19, 06:12 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
I have several Fluke meters as well as a couple of less expensive Gardner Bender analog meters, and the GB's are every bit accurate as one needs for DIY projects. I have one with a larger scale in the shop and two smaller scale ones, one in a "go" tool bucket and one in the toolbox in my truck. Can't say for sure, but guessing that I have between 20 and 30 dollars in all three of those GB's, which is just a down payment on a Fluke. And treated with just a due amount of respect an inexpensive analog meter should last a long time. If you do enough vehicle work to warrant it, you'd have money left over for a load tester, which is the only good way to check a battery.

Old 11-11-19, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've had this one for years and it's done whatever I've need it for except reading amp draw, and I have another clamp meter for that.
https://www.harborfreight.com/11-fun...ity-61593.html