Bank app not shown in Google Play Store

Old 11-21-19, 01:26 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bank app not shown in Google Play Store

I hope this is the proper place for this question.

I am in Mexico and I have two cell phones. One is a Samsung US phone and shows Verizon logo. The other is ZTE phone, purchased in Mexico, and shows ATT logo.

I have installed my Mexican bank's android app on my ZTE phone. The bank's app does not show up on the Samsung phone.

Interestingly, the country setting for the play store on the ZTE phone is set to the US. I changed the play store setting on the Samsung phone to Mexico and it still does not show the bank's app.

What can google play store possibly be looking for on the Samsung phone which keeps it from showing the app ?

Thanks

Old 11-21-19, 05:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Have you called the bank? Seems like something they would have encountered before you.

Old 11-22-19, 02:37 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 154 Votes on 137 Posts
Most likely, it's probably the region/country. When apps are published, the publisher has to select where the app is available. If it's a US bank, they will probably only make it available to US users for security and compliance reasons.

The app stores only allow you to change your country based on where your phone is located. Plus, Google says it may take up to 24 hours for your country to change in the Play store.

It could also be version-limited, where the app may only function for Android 10.0+ (or whatever). Do your two phones have different versions?

Old 11-22-19, 05:07 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't think it is the location because using my VPN I can put the phone either in the US or Mexico (it is a Mexican bank app).

I thought maybe it was the manufactured country (from the IMEI) but the phone where the app is installed says China...

It may be the android version. The working phone is 7.1 - I'll need to check the other phone later. The app info in the store makes no mention.

Question : the bad phone shows a US Verizon logo on power up. the good phone shows a generic AT&T but I purchased it from AT&T Mexico. Is there an api that pulls up the Verizon info ? Might there be other related info stored in that area of the phone ?

It is impressive if Google Play Store actually makes these sorts of checks for every app at the time it populates the listing of available apps !

Old 11-23-19, 04:40 PM
H
Received 136 Votes on 118 Posts
What can google play store possibly be looking for on the Samsung phone which keeps it from showing the app ?
A practical tangent - just "sideload" the app.
If you have ES File Explorer or something similar on both phones, you should be able to backup the app from the Mex phone as a .APK file.
Then send the .apk file to USA phone via bluetooth / NearFieldCommunication (tap and exchange) or Wifi.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: