Getting Ubuntu to run on a Mac powerbook G4

Old 01-11-20, 05:54 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Getting Ubuntu to run on a Mac powerbook G4

Hello.

I got a Mac powerbook G4 model A1046
15 inch display CD/DVD drive 1Ghz processor. I'm trying to get Ubuntu 16.04to install and its not happening. I first downloaded a Lubuntu 16.04 version and it booted from the ISO disk I made but when I went to install it and overwrite the Max OS X it froze. I tried a full verson of the Ubuntu 16.04 in both 32 and 64 bit but now it just says there's no files on the disk that the OS can read.

I Even tried react OS and Haiku OS and it still says no readable files on disk. Tried doing a factory reset and there are no files installed to do a factory reboot. I can upgrade to Mac OS X leopard but chrome and Firefox are not supported. Something got corrupted as it refuses to boot from any CD or DVD I put in.

I could try making a Bootable USB. Everything I read it should be straight forward to put Ubuntu On the powerbook and it's not working. I even tried the Ubuntu 18LTS and keep getting the same error massage.

Old 01-26-20, 06:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since none of that is working, you might be better off just setting up a dual-boot.

Old 01-27-20, 09:11 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I can't even spell Makintoj but I am an inveterate tinkerer/hacker, so take this for what it's worth.

I switched from CDs/DVDs to SD cards for installs some time ago because do-overs don't require I buy more media. And SD tends to be more fool-proof. When they first introduced writable DVDs -- which is about the same timeframe as your Mac -- there often were hardware compatibility problems depending on whether the media was DVD+R or DVD-R and sometimes even the brand of media could be the problem. So I was glad to ditch the optical media.

The only complication with SD media is finding a tool that will write a disk image to the media in bootable fashion, which is an OS-specific problem. For creating from Windows I use Rufus to write install disks to a thumb drive. For a long, long time before Rufus I used Pen Drive Linux's Universal USB installer. I generally default to using Windows for creating the install media (because of the success I had, first with UUI and later with Rufus) but when I use Linux I use Mint's default app, USB Image Writer. If you're using Mac I'm sure there must be something equivalent available.

So you might start there and see if that gets you any further into the process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: