adobe acrobat problem

Old 01-16-20, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adobe acrobat problem

I have adobe reader dc on my laptop which is windows 10. I use adobe for a lot of downloads. recently when I go to download a document from the internet it will start and open maybe one page and then stop downloading. I went to download a application for social security and it was 14 pages, when I clicked to down load it opened showed the first page and then stopped downloading. anyone have this problem or know how to fix it? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-20, 07:28 AM
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
Is it an old version?

Adobe announced the end of support for 2015 versions of Acrobat DC
https://www.zdnet.com/article/adobe-...t-reader-2015/

Might need to check for updates?

Old 01-17-20, 10:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Have you tried downloading the file first? Right-click on whatever link and select 'Save link'. This will save the .pdf file onto your computer. Then open the fully downloaded pdf.

I've seen issues where the pdf reader in the browser tries to be 'smart' and only download part of the file as it's needed... but can cause some issues like you've mentioned. Once it's downloaded to your computer completely, Adobe should open it without an issue.

Old 01-17-20, 04:27 PM
Check to see if a browser update has assigned .PDF documents to load in the browser, rather than be downloaded and then displayed by Adobe.

Generally Settings, Apps Default Apps, Choose Default Apps By The Type.

Old 01-18-20, 04:18 AM
do not exactly know what you mean choose by type. I found the acrobat in apps and it was dated 12/21/2019 so I assume it is up to date. the thing is when I open a pdf the first time on my computer it opens completely, if I need to close down the pdf and go back to it it won't open back up all the way I need to shut down the computer to get it all again. Now I have started saving pdf''s to downloads and from there I can open them. I just didn't want to download a bunch of clutter to my computer.

Old 01-18-20, 05:19 AM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
Try using FOX-IT reader. I stopped using Adobe many years ago.

Old 01-18-20, 07:05 AM
the thing is when I open a pdf the first time on my computer it opens completely, if I need to close down the pdf and go back to it it won't open back up all the way I need to shut down the computer to get it all again.
Most browsers will read from the temporary files (cache) they create for each webpage you've visited.
That sounds like the browser is loading the .pdf into a temporary file on your computer and then reading it, then clearing the temporary file, but still trying to read the temp file when you re-load it.

Try is opening a "new inprivate window" on the browser; this forces the browser to run without cacheing the files, and instead download the files from the website each time you click on an image or .pdf.

If "inprivate" fixes the problem, then you'll have to check about your browser's cache settings.

Old 01-22-20, 05:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just posting to alert everyone that Adobe has had 4 updates since the last post. You might want to consider updating. There were known issues involving with PDF - paid or free version. The other 2 updates were vulnerabilities.

Old 01-22-20, 07:01 AM
the website said no available updates. if the fix-it reader compatible with pdf so you can edit,, write and fill in the forms?