intermittent wifi connection

Old 01-24-20, 04:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
intermittent wifi connection

Just replaced my comcast router/modem with a friends Netgear unit. It connects fine to the internet but I have found it does not always connect my apple phone when I return home. I found that if I get the phone close to the modem it had connected so I moved the modem into a more open area hoping for a better connection. Today it didnt connect to my phone unless I went to setting on my phone and chose the modem to connect. Any ideas on this problem?

Old 01-24-20, 04:09 PM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Sometimes it's a bad signal. Could also be which channel you are using. For 2.4 I have read the best channels are 1, 6 and 11. Do you know how to log in and change the settings? Try that and see if things improve.

Old 01-24-20, 04:09 PM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
Unfortunately, in my experience that's normal.

Most iPhones seem to be very fussy about WiFi connections after they have been on for a few days.

Only "fix" I've found is to turn the phone hard off, then back on

Old 01-25-20, 08:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
didnt know you can change channels. is that on the phone or modem?

Old 01-26-20, 08:56 AM
F
Received 28 Votes on 21 Posts
It's done on the modem (the control is in the web interface) but it might not be necessary, or the best thing to do.

The reason you'd do it is if the channel in use is 'crowded' and that will depend on what channels your neighbors are using. There are several Android apps that will show you what channels your neighbors are using and some also will make a recommendation for the best channel to use so I'm sure there must be some for iOS that will do the same.

Most WiFi routers are shipped with the channel selector set so 'auto' but the router doesn't always make the best choice. The reason it's recommended only to use 1, 6 and 11, as Crashandburn noted, is because each channel 'bleeds over' into the two adjacent channels on each side. So there's also some signal from channel 6 on channels 4, 5, 7 and 8. If everybody only used 1, 6 and 11, then none of the channels in use could interfere with each other. However, that doesn't mean your neighbors are only using 1, 6 and 11, or even if they are, which of those three is the least crowded.

Here's a screen shot of my current situation from such an Android app:

The obvious choices are 1 and 6. As you can see in the lower left, I'm on 6. But I obviously have non-techie neighbors (or their routers are making questionable choices) because something other than those three choices is heavily populated.

You should turn off your router before dong this, otherwise you're looking at 'interference' from your own router, too, which isn't really interference.

Old 01-26-20, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Most iPhones seem to be very fussy about WiFi connections after they have been on for a few days.
I have to disagree. Never heard that one before. Never had a problem with any of my IPhones and no one I know that have IPhones, have ever had problems.
You say it's a "friends" router, so maybe it's on a network that still part of your friends? Never had a used one, so don't know what's involved there. Is it a newer router or an old one? Any rate, don't think the phone is the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: