YouTube Video Downloads

Old 01-26-20, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
YouTube Video Downloads

I have been downloading from YouTube some videos in Medium MP4 format for some times now and I keep them in my HD for later viewing but lately MP4 videos are not available mostly they are in WEBM or MKV formats. I do have the Videodownloadhelper utility but nothing else.

Is there another way to download YouTube videos into the HD?

I’m using Windows10 with FireFox

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-20, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
You need the right viewer, I think. Try downloading VLC

Old 01-26-20, 01:27 PM
I do have VLC ans always use it to view all pictures/videos but what this has to do with the download?

Old 01-26-20, 02:00 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What site or tool do you use? I frequently use downvids.net|Download Facebook, Youtube Videos I used to use another site but that site now has ads that try to download a virus to my PC (My Avast antivirus thankfully caught that before any damage was done)

Old 01-26-20, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry, I misread. Thought you couldn't view them. So it just doesn't download or you can't find them?

Old 01-26-20, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Old 01-26-20, 04:01 PM
I only use YouTube to download videos

I have no problem to find and download my videos but I was referring to the format of the video which seem to have change from .MP4 to WEBM. WEBM I can download but it takes forever after the download to “Aggregate” whatever that means. I was hopping perhaps there is license to buy (from YouTube?) or another utility which will allow me to download YouTube videos quick and easy like I did before when the videos were .MP4.

Old 01-27-20, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
So now you say you can download them but can't open them?
So just try typing in vd in front of youtube......... in the address bar and hit enter, as stated in the link I gave you. Maybe it'll work. What have you got to loose?

Old 01-27-20, 10:00 AM
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
Kolias, I use Video DownloadHelper add-on for Firefox (also available for Chrome). I think it always downloads in MP4 format but I can't state that to a certainty because they all seem to play the same on my VLC regardless whether it's mp4, mkv or webm so I never bothered to investigate. However, I can't seem to find anything that I know I've downloaded from YouTube that isn't in mp4 format.

Old 01-27-20, 11:23 AM
Sorry for the confusion Shadeladie, I have no problem to find, and view(open) any video. My only hassle is to save a video in my hard disk. Typing “vd” in front of YouTube I think it’s a scam because when I did so a new window opened and wanted to download something not related to videos (I forget exactly what it was) and I had to shut down my laptop to cancel.

Fred_C_Dobs I have the Video Download Helper but as I stated recently on YouTube most videos are in WEBM or MKV format which takes tons of time to download.

After searching my conclusion is that Google has done a pretty good job and the only way to save videos on your hard drive is to buy software from others which I may do if I really get stuck.

Just a thought, I will also try with my other laptop which runs Windows8.1 to see if there is a difference

Old 01-27-20, 04:06 PM
Received 171 Votes on 158 Posts
Most obvious to me, why not just save the link and stop downloading?

Old 01-27-20, 05:17 PM
Good idea and I do that but sometimes I would like to keep the video for reference