Brave browser ( Fast)

Old 02-02-20, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Brave browser ( Fast)

I just downloaded this browser. Man its pretty fast.

Anyone using it?
Any drawbacks?
Looks just like chrome and looks like built in ad blocker. No extension needed.
The developer says is the guy who invented javascript..

Feedback appreciated..

https://brave.com/features/

Old 02-03-20, 10:54 AM
F
Received 30 Votes on 23 Posts
Brendan Eich created JavaScript and was one of the co-founders of Mozilla (Mozilla=Firefox). Mozilla kicked him to the curb because he didn't support Kalifornia's same-sex marriage amendment. After which (I think) he was out of the browser business for a bit because of his non-compete agreement.

I test drove Brave when it was still in development and have used it continuously since it went into general release. I have to say it is slick and fast and unlike Firefox I don't waste time with selecting, testing and maintaining add-ons because until recently there weren't any (and still aren't but a few). My 'usual' browser is Firefox (with a ton of add-ons) and I run uBlock Origin with Tampermonkey on it for popup and ad blocking. And for the most part Brave is about as immune to popups with nothing added. And it's all the faster for their lack.

The only problem I've had with it is Brave's standard arsenal of tools sometimes is too restrictive. For instance some of the elements on my bank's website don't work with Brave Shields enabled. Same with the interactive radar displays on some of the big-name weather websites. But turning off the shields is a simple matter and I don't feel naked for turning it off on 'trusted' websites.

Firefox is the other way around. It is far more likely to encounter a pop-up that it's native blocker doesn't block, in which case I have to add a new line to uBlock's blocking filters. I've added literally hundreds of lines to "My filters", which represents quite a bit of time spent "keeping up" with advertisements that have slipped through the blocker (because I never let a popup go unanswered, and I have been building the "My filters" list for several years).

Brave is my default browser on Android. If I weren't so dependent on the operation of some of FF's add-ons and scripts it probably also would be my default browser on Windows and Linux as well.

Old 02-03-20, 02:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Mike:

While I have not downloaded it, our mutual friend in Georgia loves it.

lawrosa voted this post useful.
Old 02-03-20, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,404 Votes on 1,299 Posts
I just installed it as a test. It seems to be just as fast as FF. I only have a few extensions running in FF so not much to bog it down.

Old 02-04-20, 06:51 AM
Received 315 Votes on 283 Posts
Seems there are hundreds of browsers to choose from. I find using several is a useful depending on how you use them. I have not tried Brave (but did know about it). I'm very impressed with the new MS Edge browser. Very fast. Vivladi is another that is suppose to be resistant to privacy issues.

Old 02-04-20, 07:19 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
I also vote for the new MS Edge.

Runs the same as Chrome but a little faster. Speed is not the most important feature for me.
I wanted the speed dial add-on and the ability to customize it to my taste and now Edge has this so I gave it a try.
I have used it for about 3 weeks and will most likely delete Chrome if Edge keeps running good for another month.

Got rid of Firefox after using it for about 15 years around 3 years ago when it seemed every update they did cause other problems.
Chrome also does this once in a while but not near as often but there are still sites out there that are not Chrome friendly.

Old 02-07-20, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,404 Votes on 1,299 Posts
I find Chrome is a little clingy. Has a big brother is watching feel to it.
Firefox had been been my browser of choice.

However..... I've found Brave to be a very simple and very fast browser. Definitely uses less resources than the above two. I need a browser that works as fast as I do and this is perfect. I endorse Brave 100%.

Old 02-07-20, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Good feed back.. Im going to test it more. seamless syncing is my main thing. what I see on my home computer I need to see on my phone. I've been using chrome.. yes FF I kicked to the curb some 3 years ago. Reason being the same as stated above from manden

Old 02-08-20, 06:50 AM
So I downloaded BRAVE. Pretty much the same as the Edge. I like it. May use it more often. I like the way it ported all of my short cuts from FF with no problems and in the same order. Edge did not do that.
One of my hang-ups on all these browser updates is that FLASH will no longer be supported. All my cams rely on Flash to view. Now I must go through several key punches every time I want to view my cams. What will be my alternative when FLASH will no longer be supported? VIVALDI is the only one that I'm aware of that will lock FLASH into memory and come up with no additional key presses.

Old 02-08-20, 09:05 AM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
The flash problem will be up to your camera supplier. They will have to update their software to function without flash.

Old 02-09-20, 11:17 AM
F
Received 30 Votes on 23 Posts
PJmax:
I find Chrome is a little clingy. Has a big brother is watching feel to it.
SRWare Iron is a fork of Chrome that has had the spyware removed. Chrome is based on the source code for Chromium. Chrome is "proprietary freeware" but Chromium is free and open source (FOSS) and its licensing terms allow anyone who cares to to modify it in any way they see fit as long as they acknowledge it is a derivative of Chromium. Most any browser worth mentioning also is a derivative of Chromium (Brave, FF Quantum, Opera, Edge, Safari, Vivaldi, et al) but what's different about Iron is they didn't elect to reinvent the wheel. It's near as makes no difference functionally identical to Chrome, all the controls are in the same place and the same add-ons all work, it just doesn't spy on you.

Old 02-09-20, 11:48 AM
Fred,

What's your definition of spying? Pop-ups are very annoying, but I don't call that spying. Delivering ads based on your web browsing is also very annoying, but I don't consider it spying.

On the other hand, following me as I go into a store or other location then hitting me with ads, and asking my opinion on the store or locations is intrusion far beyond just sending ad info. Or if I make an inquiry on GOOGLE I'll begin get all kinds of related info that I don't want. All because of an innocent inquiry. That I consider spying.

Then of course actual spying by a government agency or a business, or a tech entity (Facebook, Google, Twitter, Internet carrier, political party) is by far the worst and most invasive. So with that said, how do we know if Iron, FF, Edge, Googles Chrome and all the others don't do it? We could use a TORRENT, but that tends to slow things down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: