Widows 7 ending

Old 01-15-20, 08:39 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Widows 7 ending

Greetings,
I have an ASUS desktop I have been running Windows 7 for years. As you know Windows has ended support and updates for 7 as of yesterday.
The pop up on my PC says I need to get Windows 10 on a "new" PC .Never heard of having to buy a new PC to update an operating system.
What is the next step ? Do I download and install 10 THEN delete 7 ? Do I need a new PC ?
Thanks very much for the advice.

Old 01-15-20, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
You can get Win10 for free. Before it downloads and installs, it'll do a check on your computer to make sure if it will work on there. I suppose if it can't, you may need a new computer, but you can actually still use Win7. There just won't be any security updates. If you can upgrade, you don't have to delete Win7.

You might want to read these articles:
Here's what you need to know

You can still Get Win10 free

Old 01-15-20, 09:01 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Assuming your hardware meets the minimum requirements, you don't have to purchase a new computer to move to Win10. If you want to move to Win10, you have 2 choices. You can either do an upgrade, keeping all your files and apps (assuming they're Win10 compatible), or do a "clean install" of Win10 which would require you to reinstall all your apps and data files. BTW, your Win7 key should work to activate Win10, assuming you install the same version (Win7 Home to Win10, Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro).

Old 01-15-20, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
FWIW, plenty of people still running XP that had support dropped eons ago.

Old 01-15-20, 09:59 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
Backup your data re: documents and pictures etc.
Back up the bookmarks off your browser.
Back up any program install files that you may have re you purchased the program online and do not have a disc for the install.

If certain programs do not run after the upgrade try running them as the administrator.
If that does not work try running them in compatibility mode.

Go to the Microsoft site to get the download not from a popup etc. I can see where scammers will be using he end of Windows 7 to achieve mischief.

Not sure how it is now but when I upgraded Windows 7 was kept on the computer and then was deleted after 30 days.

Old 01-15-20, 10:07 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by blendmik
What is the next step ? D
There are a few threads here about how to upgrade-

The highlights -
1) BEFORE you do anything, make data BACKUPS to protect documents/pictures/files that are important, and make disk IMAGES of the physical drives to protect programs and apps.

2) Next is data integrity - run windows "error check" and "chkdsk /?" and perhaps even Seagate SeaTools to make sure the drives are good.

3) Next is "data diet." This includes running "disk cleanup" to get rid of unused filed, and then "defragment" to get the files 'organized' on the disk to make reading/writing go faster (this isn't necessary on newer SSD drives).

4) Now, take a minute and consider whether you want to upgrade - add RAM, add a newer-larger-faster SSD drive and re purpose the old drive as a backup.

5) Finally, do some Account "preventive maintenance." That means saving user-name and login information - for Windows, for Chrome/Edge/Firefox, for email accounts, for Acrobat etc. In some cases, this means setting UP those sign-ins.
An example, I found that taking the Administrator Account and setting it up with a MS Windows Login helps Win10 "register" the computer with MS, which comes in VERY handy if you find yourself replacing/upgrading. motherboards or hard drives later on.

Old 01-25-20, 11:46 AM
E
You can get a free upgrade to windows 10 if you have a genuine windows 7 installed.

Old 02-23-20, 08:04 AM
B
Status Quo

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions. Actually 7 is still getting daily updates and works fine.
I think I will leave everything as is. I have alternative malware and cleaning/privacy tools in place and never have any issues.
I am however making disc and cloud back ups of anything important.
Again, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: