Program works on hard disk, but errors/crashes on SSD

Old 02-21-20, 08:42 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Program works on hard disk, but errors/crashes on SSD

A CAD program I use at home has been giving me issues since I updated to a more recent version (9.5 from 9.3). For some reason, the program runs fine from a hard disk, but I keep getting errors and the program eventually crashes when running it off my SSD. Same operating system and same computer. The only difference is the program location. Any clue as to why this would happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-20, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 80 Votes on 61 Posts
Did you contact the company that makes the program? Sometimes after they update, a fix has to go thru to fix the problems that come with an update.

Old 02-21-20, 09:09 AM
M
Did you contact the company that makes the program? Sometimes after they update, a fix has to go thru to fix the problems that come with an update.
Yes, I contacted the company, but their only solution is to upgrade to version 10, which would cost upwards of $10,000. Upgrading to version 9.5 was free. It worked on the hard drive but not the SSD, and I'm trying to determine why that would happen.

Old 02-21-20, 09:17 AM
H
Received 58 Votes on 50 Posts
This might be a result of how the CAD program "grabs" and "holds" temporary files.

SSD disks will automatically zero-out the data in temp files, while "spinner" drives leave the data there.

I'd check the "indexing" settings AND try re-installing under a "compatibility" installation.

Old 02-21-20, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 347 Votes on 319 Posts
Maybe something got corrupted during the write process. You can try deleting the program from the SSD and do a complete new install.

Old 02-21-20, 09:32 AM
M
Received 80 Votes on 75 Posts
Could be that the SSD is just too fast for the program.

Try Pilot Dane's suggestion with a write data check.

If it runs off a hard drive then why not just fun it off a hard drive?

Old 02-21-20, 09:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
Error messages often contain information which can help - have you analyzed them?

Old 02-21-20, 10:18 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 48 Posts
I wonder if the issue has to do with the drive letter. Running off C: vs D:. Maybe it's looking for specific configuration files or something in C:, but the SSD is on D: (or something along those lines).

That's my best guess!

Old 02-21-20, 11:11 AM
M
I spoke with a couple guys at work and they also mentioned the possibility of the SSD being too fast. I hadn't considered the temporary files, except version 9.2 works just fine on the SSD. Guess they made some program changes to 9.5 that made it not compatible with SSDs. I've reinstalled it two times and still have the issue. I'll try all the above and report back.

Old 02-21-20, 11:40 AM
Z
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The fact that they suggested that an upgrade would take care of the problem may strongly indicate that they know what the problem is and know that it is fixed in the newer version. It may have something to do with what manden mentioned in post #6 (and mossman):

Could be that the SSD is just too fast for the program
If the application is doing asynchronous I/O (i.e., it goes off and does other things while it is waiting for a disk read or write to complete), faster I/O will change the timing and possibly the order of some events. If the application is written properly that shouldn’t cause a problem. But many times the software has these defects that you never see until the timing is changed in some way.

Long ago when I was doing software (disks were slower then), when we did any kind of disk emulation the customer would actually ask us to try to duplicate the timing of the old slower disk drive – because they were afraid that the timing change would cause intermittent problems with the application(s).

If the other suggestions on this thread don’t work, then maybe you are just stuck because it is in fact a timing problem. Hope not!