Digital Camera problems

Old 06-07-01, 05:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Just got a digital camera from a friend (an Agfa CL18) which I tried to install and use.

I'm able to take pictures of it, but when I access the program to view and store the pics on the computer (Corel Photo House 5.0) it says:

"Connection failed"
1) Make sure the camera is on (check)
2) Make sure the camera is connected to the USB port in the PC. (it is).

Is that port "dead" until activated? Any ideas? There are seemingly two available USB ports on my computer.

Running Windows 98 on this 200 MMX Dell machine if that helps.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-01, 10:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Go into your control panels (Start -> Settings -> Control Panels) and open the System Control Panel. Change to the devices tab. Make sure the USB ports are listed. Look for anything with a Yellow !. The Yellow ! indicate a conflict that will have to be resolved before the given device will work.

Old 06-08-01, 03:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information.

I will report back with what I find. Any idea how to fix the "conflicts"?

I'll get it going .

Old 06-08-01, 04:33 AM
BSB
Also may want to check and make sure usb is enabled in the bois. When you attach a device to the usb port you will see 2 usb entries under devices. The port itself and a root hub, or maybe 3...when I connect my epson to usb I get 3 devices, the port, the hub, and a usb printing device. Also if this is your first time running anything off usb, check your MOBO web site for updated drivers.

Old 06-08-01, 05:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be!

First time I am using this USB port for anything (digital camera).

I will investigate. Thanks again.

Old 06-19-01, 10:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, contacted Agfa and they gave me some things to try. I still think the problem is that the port is not recognized by the computer.

When I boot up the computer, I don't recall seeing in the BIOS anything about a USB port being detected, even when I restarted with the computer on and the camera plugged in.

Checked with my cousin and he led me on to something. My computer originally had Windows 95 (It's a Dell 200 MMX I bought in late 1997). I had to reinstall Windows and we used Windows 98 at that time. When we were discussing it, it seems that 95 had no USB support.

Now that I have 98, how do I get the driver or whatever is needed to make this thing work? Any ideas? Website or somewhere I should go to get it?

I'd like to put this little guy to work soon with some things for ebay and my upcoming interior project on my 1979 Trans Am.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 06-19-01, 11:46 AM
BSB
If the USB is onboard there should be a way to disable it in bois, if there is not, you may need to upgrade (flash) your bois so you have usb support. Could be that your MOBO for win95 had usb headers but since there was not an OS that supported USB they left it out of bois. (shot in the dark)

Does USB show up in your list of devices under system?

USB drivers for MS are on your 98 CD, or you can get the drivers from the MOBO manufacture.

oh yeah, have you opened your case to verify that the USB ports are plugged in?

Brian

Old 06-19-01, 12:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
MOBO? Please elaborate?

I have not opened the case. Actually never had a device that needed to use them until now.

Will check on the 98 CD I got from my cousin on those drivers.

The USB ports show under the device manager in My computer/control panel as you instructed the last time. I couldn't find anything I thought was amiss there.

I think we're on the right track. It is not recognizing the ports as active through windows.

I'm guessing this is why it is saying "Camera connection failed".

Thanks again.

Old 06-20-01, 05:35 AM
BSB
MOBO= mother board, I used to use MB, but every where I go, EVERYONE is now using MOBO, so I guess I have conformed to the popular term.

If you remove the USB from your device listing and reboot does it tell you new hardware found and install it?

I would also go to http://www.dell.com and get the usb drivers, MS uses generic drivers and I have never had any luck with them. You may also think about upgrading your bois, but read what info dell has for your machine and if the new bois will do you any good.

When you plug in your camera it (the machine) should tell you new hardware found, if it does not, the drivers your system is using for USB are not recognizing anything but the usb headers.

If it makes you feel any better I cant get 98 to recognize my usb devices at this time, (dual boot is most likely messing my up. Must be time to remove the dual boot and use 2 sep HD's)

Brian

Old 06-20-01, 05:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I thought the first time I did it, it said "New hardware recognized" when I loaded the software.

Now, no such thing.

I will try going to Dell's website when I get home and see if they can help out.

I know my cousin can help me figure it out...the problem is getting a hold of him .

Thanks again,

Old 06-22-01, 08:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok folks, it's better but not quite there.

Got the PC to recognize the device. Worked with my cousin and we got that nailed. It got to 1:00 on a worknight and we called it quits as we both had work at 6:00 the next morning .

I downloaded and installed the driver from Agfa and reinstalled the software.

Now Corel Photohouse says "communicating" when I try to download the pics to the PC but it gets hung there. For a giggle, I tried to only keep one photo in the camera (I thought it was a capacity or speed problem), but it still gets hung up.

I'm going to give Agfa a shout, but any ideas are welcomed.
Thanks.