I.E. on Windows 7, home page shrunk, help!

Old 03-11-20, 08:32 AM
R
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
I.E. on Windows 7, home page shrunk, help!

Yes, I know Windows 7 is history, but my partner wants to keep it. Other browsers are fine, but the other day when he pulled up I.E., the page is only about 1" wide and 2" long, (on a desktop computer). This has happened in years past, but I don't remember the solution. You can click on it and something will load up, but it's usually and ad, because it's so tiny you can't click on anything other than big ad boxes.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-20, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
So has he tried holding the mouse at an edge of the box till it turns into an arrow and then pull it to extend the window larger?

Old 03-11-20, 09:04 AM
R
I tried that, it won't change to an arrow.....I can size the overall screen page that way, but not the browser page itself. I noticed that this morning the browser page went from a postage stamp size to a larger 2.5" wide and as long as the screen, don't know how that happened. The overall page tab says "MSN / Outlook, Office, Skype...." Also, when I'm on the desktop, and click on various shortcuts, they're accessed thru I.E. and those pages are miniaturized as well.

Old 03-11-20, 10:39 AM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
use Alt+Tab to cycle between windows

Win + down-arrow will minimize the window to the taskbar
Win + uparrow will maximize the window, leaving the menu.

Usually, closing a maximized window using Ctrl+W will reset the default so that the window opens to maximum.

You MIGHT have to check through the program properties /defaults to make sure that "open new windows MAXIMIZED" is selected in some sub-menu.

Old 03-11-20, 03:19 PM
R
Thanks Hal, those suggestions work fine on the overall screen....the problem is, even with the screen maximized, the "content" is tiny. I did make one change, to no avail: MSN is not his homepage, MyYahoo is, so I changed that in "Internet Options" which now comes up on MyYahoo, but it's still miniaturized. However, I do detect a possible clue.....pulling up either Chrome or Foxfire (which work fine) shows a single tab, saying in both cases,simply "New Tab", with an empty URL space below that, where you can enter a URL of your choice, but with I.E., there's 2 tabs, the top one looks like the main URL bar which has the purple Yahoo! symbol, followed by "https://my.yahoo.com/" then a smaller tab below that, with "My Yahoo" on that one. (The page is maximized during this time). The content on this page is about the size of 2 postage stamps, and of course, impossible to read, other than to see that it is indeed the "My Yahoo" home page. If I close the lower "My Yahoo" tab, the screen reverts back to the desktop.

Old 03-11-20, 03:28 PM
R
And another discovery.......I can pull up My Yahoo fine on Foxfire and Chrome, no problem....I guess competing browser companies don't mind you using their browser to get a competitors' browser. Which means I can simply put My Yahoo in a favorites folder in either of those, and that's a workaround, but like I mentioned earlier, his desktop has a number of shortcuts that automatically access I.E. to load those sites.

Old 03-11-20, 03:54 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
I'll go back to the basics although I am sure you've already tried it, but worth suggesting.

Close IE & restart IE.
If that doesnt fix it..........
Shut down the computer, wait 5 minutes (you might even unplug it but I doubt that's necessary in this case) & restart the computer, try IE again.

I hate to be that basic, but, you never know. I've found restarting (resetting the system), works on many things.

clancy voted this post useful.
Old 03-11-20, 04:02 PM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
You should ALSO run Malwarebytes - it sorta-sounds-like you have something that tried to reset your default webpage and/or install some form of toolbar.

clancy voted this post useful.
Old 03-12-20, 06:10 AM
C
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If the last two suggestions do not solve then go to msconfig.exe. Then system restore and go back to the last time it worked properly.

Old 03-12-20, 01:27 PM
Z
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
rstripe-

Maybe one of the Windows Registry (a Windows Database) entries for Internet Explorer was inappropriately changed. There is an entry in the registry that has to do with how the IE window looks at startup. That registry entry is labeled: “Window_Placement” and describes (among other things) how the IE window looks at startup.

Apparently if that entry doesn’t exist in the registry IE will default to the IE window default values at startup and a new “Window_Placement” entry with default values will be created at that time and added to the registry. I have Windows 7 and deleted the “Window_Placement” entry to see what would happen. Sure enough the next time I started IE a new “Window_Placement” entry was created in the registry and IE ran with the new default values.

I also looked at the “Window_Placement” entry before I resized the IE window by hand and then after I terminated IE - and sure enough it seems that somewhere in that entry the window size is encoded and remembered, i.e., if you don’t resize the IE window the “Window_Placement” entry doesn’t change; if you do resize the IE window the “Window_Placement” entry does change when you terminate IE.

Anyway, it might be something you would want to look into. You have to be real careful you don’t screw up the registry but with a little care using the registry editor (regedit.exe) just to look won’t hurt anything.

If you type regedit in the start box regedit.exe will be displayed and you can click regedit.exe to start the editor, and then open up this folder:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

In the right pane you should find the Window_Placement entry.

If you right-click on the Window_Placement entry you will see a choice “Modify binary Data”.

If you click on that a popup then occurs showing the binary data for the entry. If you click Cancel nothing is changed. So it’s pretty safe if you just want to look. But if IE isn’t working for you, you might have nothing to lose by deleting the Window_Placement entry and see what happens.

Anyway, here are two snapshots of the entry:

LEFT:

the default Window_Placement entry , i.e., the entry as it looked after I deleted the old Window_Placement entry and then restarted IE to get the default window,

RIGHT:

not moving the default window but just resizing the default window by dragging the lower-right corner up and to the left, and then terminating IE.

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-20, 05:15 PM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Virtually all browsers, including IE, allow the user to resize content using CTRL-+ to enlarge, CTRL-- to reduce, and CTRL-0 to reset. Try clicking in the content and pressing CTRL and the zero key.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-13-20, 07:56 AM
Z
In IE 11 Zoom In/Out does work with those keys as you say. You may be on to something. It does look like it isn’t actually the window size itself. I didn’t catch this before:

I can size the overall screen page that way, but not the browser page itself

Old 03-17-20, 09:39 AM
R
Rocket, you saved the day!!! How it got reduced in the first place, is a mystery, but I resized it, and rebooted, to make sure, and it came back up normally! @zoesdad, Thanks for your time explaining the registry stuff, kinda glad I didn't have to mess with that tho! The CTRL+/- is a command I'll remember, now!

Old 03-17-20, 02:57 PM
Z
Good to hear it’s working. A real good catch by Rocket!

I found this out, might be of a little interest -

There is also a record in the registry labeled “Zoom” with a data item labeled “Zoom Factor” and some other items:

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom

IE keeps this information updated. If there is a “bug” (not hard to imagine), IE might have accidentally updated the info to indicate, for example, a 15% zoom factor, and later any page opened would look like a postage stamp – and it would stay that size upon each restart of IE - until a Zoom-In action was taken by you.

Looks like if you have multiple tabs open you can have a different zoom factor for each tab, but the last zoom change, irrespective of tab, gets stored in Zoom Factor in real time and that’s the default for any new tab opened from that point on. And also, when you open IE the next time that’s the default Zoom Factor and all tabs opened will default to that Zoom Factor.

Seems straight forward, but if IE accidentally stored, say for example, a 15% Zoom Factor in that data base entry, but without actually zooming out at the same time on the screen, you wouldn’t know anything was wrong until you opened pages later.

Who knows, bug details can defy imagination sometimes –lol.

But all’s well that ends well! Good luck!

Old 03-26-20, 02:11 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
You probably reduced it by holding down the control key while you scrolled up or down on the mouse wheel. That is the universal zoom in/out for all Microsoft products and most windows, including ms excel, word, etc...

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-26-20, 07:49 AM
Z
That would be the most logical simple explanation, Occam’s Razor – except that it would be something you would immediately notice: that is, one second the screen looks fine, the next second it doesn’t. However, that’s not the way the problem was described:

but the other day when he pulled up I.E., the page is only about 1" wide and 2" long,

But, you certainly could be correct; maybe that is actually what happened.

Old 03-26-20, 10:00 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
...holding down the control key while you scrolled up or down...
I had no idea, thanks.