Router recommendations? Home network help?

Old 04-06-20, 10:52 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Router recommendations? Home network help?

Hey Everyone,

I have been out of the router game for a long time. And started playing a few games, but they allll lag. My son has an xbox one that is upstairs, my computer is 2 rooms away about 25 ft. And our router is in cabinet in the central room of our house (laundry room).

For my computer I bought this Extender and that sits about 10 feet from my computer so like 20 ft from the actual router, in a different room. And to plug into my computer I bought USB Wifi Adapter And I still can barely get 10 mb with speed test. And my son obviously has whats built into his xbox one.

Our router is old, a Linksys E1550, so is the router my bottleneck here I am guessing? Or is it potentiality something else? I mean we also have 2 cell phones and 2 tablets typically on wifi as well.

Thanks for any advice. I am continuing my research as well in the mean time, but I have used these forums many times in the past and they re great!

We are sick of lag! lol

Hopefully I posted this in the right spot? If not can a mod please move it.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-20, 02:03 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In one of the DIY type magazines this month, they talk about Mesh routers. The main point of the article that I took away was that a typical wireless extender uses the existing wireless channel to communicate between the main wireless router and the extender. That can cut your "extended" bandwidth down by almost 50% according to the article. I may not believe their numbers but the concept sounds right. The newer mesh routers use separate channels for communicating between the routers so that it does not impact your devices. So the use of your extender may not really be of much value. You might be getting the same performance without it. Having the router in a central closet may be smart but keep in mind that every wall it needs to go through, appliance or chimney between you and the router degrades the signal.

I would start by upgrade your wireless router. New 802.11ac and even the newest 802.11ax routers are much better than the "n" model you are using. Dual channel (2.4 and 5) allow for even more performance.

My modem and router were in a closet on one end of my basement. I used a 50 foot cable to move the router sit under a couch on my first floor by routing along side the heater plenum and up through the floor so it comes out the side of the vent. I actually ran 2 cables side by side so I could return to the basement closet as a central distribution center and put an 8-port ethernet switch there. Now I have wired ethernet in the basement coming out of the closet and wifi on one side of my first floor. For the other end of the first floor, I ran another 50 or 100 foot cord from the basement closet to the other end of the basement under the kitchen on the opposite side of the house. Then I drilled a hole diagonally through the base of the cabinet next to the range and into the floor range near the wall (so the range will cover it) and pulled that new line up from the basement. I now have a wireless router at either end of the first floor. I set both routers with the same name and password so as I pass through the house, my device does not need to disconnect but simply acquires the stronger router signal with the same settings.

You may find that replacing the router gives you enough signal coverage for the whole house but if it doesn't, don't throw away the old one. Just wire it in as a new access point like I did.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-06-20, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 116 Posts
I would connect the computer directly to the router using a cat5 cable and see what you get for speeds. If it is not better then a new router isn't going to help you.

Old 04-06-20, 02:52 PM
Z
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi guys -

Something sounds suspicious to me about the 10 MBPS as a ceiling, i.e., LAN speeds are 10,100,1000 etc.

Look at the operating WAN and LAN speeds in your router. On my NETGEAR you can see them under Internet Port and Statistics. Maybe your router and modem are talking at 10MBPS instead of 100MBPS which would cause a bottleneck. Wouldn’t hurt to check.

Maybe I'm missing something but 10 doesn't sound right. (but I only dabble a little anymore, not a guru, maybe I'm out in left field. I started work in the COMM SW field and remember when ethernet was the new sensation. That long -ago. lol)

Old 04-07-20, 07:31 AM
K
Thanks everyone. I found a firmware update from 2012 lol, and skipped the extender and now I just got 30 mbps this morning. That is with no kids on the network currently... for some reason it changed my router name to Cisco12345 2 and I cant change it back. I will keep playing with that.

I also go through charter and pay 70 dollars a month. Its nice they dont list it anywhere on your bill or account about what speeds I am even suppose to be getting. There website is one of the worst things I have ever been on.

Great idea connecting the cat5 directly to the router to see if thats the problem. I will try that next to see if I can get even higher speeds.

The mesh routers was the reason I made this post really. I went to look up upgrades for my current router and started reading about them and was lost immediately. They were cheaper it seemed too, so thought something weird was up..

Everyone just woke up and started connecting so I will keep an eye on my speeds today. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 04-07-20, 07:54 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You have a few options. Upgrade the router, add powerline extenders to get wired connections easier or run wires. I was using powerline adapters with wifi for years and just got rid of them to go mostly wired. I ran flat cables along my trim and added unmanaged switches to rooms to plug into. My connections are more stable now.

Old 04-07-20, 09:05 AM
K
Thanks. Yeah I think upgrading the router is something in the near future. Should go without saying, but a product from 2011 is somewhat outdated. Especially when it comes to tech...

Old 04-08-20, 11:01 AM
Z
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
kallas -
for some reason it changed my router name to Cisco12345 2 and I cant change it back.
I only use WiFi for my Smart TV and Roku and I’m one of the few people on the planet without a smartphone, so I don’t have much hands-on experience, but I would think that would mean your extender is seeing a Cisco router somewhere – and not your router. At least it seems that way to me.