Signature graphics

Old 06-08-01, 09:29 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Smile

Is there anyone out there that can inform me how to turn my signature into a graphic w/icon to use in my e-mail, posters and other office papers?? Appreciate all replys and will respond to each. Thanks, Swamprose

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-01, 12:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Swamprose
To get an animated signiture with an icon, sign up for the following newsgroup :
alt.binaries.pictures.animated.gifs
You can post a request on that newsgroup & someone will respond & make you an animated gif which you can copy & save to your HD for your own use.. They are very friendly, helpful & responsive, and there is no charge. Sometimes they will send it to you via E Mail, but most often they will post it on the NG. They are from all over the world.
Enjoy........

Pat/Wingding

Old 06-09-01, 06:10 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Pat. I'll give it a try, but I have never really signed up, or posted to a newsgroup before, but, I'll definately give this a try. Swamprouse

Old 06-09-01, 08:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

SRose,

You're quite welcome!

That was the 1st time I had ever used a NG too, but I have since signed up with several others. You can gets all kinds of information on them.
I don't know what mail program you are using, but if it is Outlook Express, after you post your question & it appears on the list of posts, there is a little pair of eye glasses on the left side of the screen. If you click on those next to your post, when your post is answered, the NG will appear in red on your screen to alert you to the post so you know you have been replied to. Be sure to remember the DATE of your posting. It is easier to find that way. There are tons of messages on there & that makes it easier to find without having to check every post.

There are also lots of Web Sites listed on there which you can check out for animation. A lot of the animators have their own Web Pages.

I have a folder full of names I have copied from there & sent to friends. They will animate almost anything.
Ex.: I have an old fashioned player piano someone did that is just sooo cute!

If you are on Web TV, by any chance, they ask that you "turn off you signitures"...it crashes their computers.
If you're not...just ignore that!

Have fun......

Pat

Old 06-10-01, 07:30 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Thanks Pat. What I truly wanted was for someone to show me how, or pass on instructions I guess, but I guess I really should be looking for animation courses. I actually want just a symbol by my name--you know, like a picture of a raindrop on a bee's head, a flower, or tiny bird--just something still like that.

I'm using CompuServe, which I'm only now getting use too, ha, and also Netscape some. I'm unsure how to reach much less how to sign up for these newsgroups. Need to read my help files a little more. Been computing for over five years now and don't know how to do that :<{ bad, huh??
I'll read up on this and check it out. My thanks, Swamprose

Old 06-10-01, 08:51 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Pat

I also followed your excellent advice from within this topic. I use "Outlook Express" exclusively and must have done everything you mentioned correctly. I already got two replies from one person.

The problem I have is not seeing a list which contains my posting request nor the "EYE GLASSES or RED" light...

FYI:
Within Outlook Express I managed to find the list mentioned and did put that mentioned NG into my list. It then appeared in the file of Outlook Express. Opening the + sign verifies the NG is there.

The first two replies form Danny where found in the In box of my Outlook Express. Have I completed the tasks you mentioned correctly? Or have I missed something? If so, what exactly?

For my benefit and others, kindly explain step by step.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 06-10-01, 09:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

SRose,

I sent you an E Mail........
Hope yout get it OK.

Pat

Old 06-10-01, 09:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking Animation NG

Tom,

I'm not sure why you don't see the list, but.....in OE, click on the "View" menu, then on "Layout". Put a mark by the heading "Show Preview Pane", then mark "Below Messages".
If you didn't have that marked, that may be why you don't see your post & others. ( Some people don't like using the Preview Pane because it makes you more vulnerable to a virus, but I find it easier to use that way....However,I'm careful about opening attachments!)

After you do that, when you click the NG, a whole bunch of messages should load & you can see them by clicking the + sign in front of the post. A whole list of the posts & replies should appear & also the eye glasses should appear there. You should see your own post & the replies to it.
When you click on the replies, if there is a "picture", it will load & the paper clip icon will appear on the right side of the screen. Then just scroll down to see the "pic".

Hope that helps.!

Pat

Old 06-10-01, 12:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Pat

I have done all you suggested within your first paragrapgh. I also agree with you on the point of being careful regarding the opening of attachments.

I have also done the clicking on the NG selection and the + mark. The + mark does expand, as it normally does for subfolders contained within the list of other folders.

However, there just aren't any eyeglasses to be seen. Could it be my EYES don't see those EYES??? haha

Clicking the NG folder contents , contains only 1 NG, the one you suggested but nothing else appears.

The request I have sent does not appear there nor did the two replies I got back appear there. The two replies arrived in the "IN BOX" along with the normal emails.

To overcome this, I have ADDED a folder and named it. It appears within the normal list of folders and those I added. Not as a sub folder listed under NG.

In reply to your last sentence, all that stuff {paperclips etc.} appears in the regular IN box folder. From there I found the replies and viewed the pic gifs.

Does the information contained here in help you to help me? I hope I was a clear here and prior as your directions and help suggestions and directions have been to me. Advise if not.

Thanks,
Tom

PS
I have also posted a reply to a prior computer question you had asked. hope that information helps you and others reading this forum.

Old 06-10-01, 12:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Tom,
Is your NG a sub-listing under "news.prodigy.net' ?
I'm not sure why you aren't seeing the listings...maybe one of the other settings in OE under NG's?
No, not your eyes...something is missing somewhere. You don't see your own posts?? Did you post to the NG FROM the NG? Or from your outbox?
If you will send me your E Mail address I will take a capture of mine & send it to you so you can see what it should look like...hopefully...if it will Capture.

Are you on Prodigy?? I just looked for a post from you but didn't see anything with the name you used on here. What name did you post under? And the date??
Pat

Where is this posted??? I didn't see it
PS
I have also posted a reply to a prior computer question you had asked. hope that information helps you and others reading this forum

Old 06-10-01, 03:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Pat

I do not have an internet provider. No ISP. I have a direct connection to the net via a high speed cable modem which is connected directly to the main server in this area. Therefore, here may lie the confussion.

I use strictly Outlook Express and Internet Explorer as it comes OEM within Windows. I use no ISP like Prodigy, AOL, Earthlink, etc. Nothing else but the programs which come with Windows '98 and a direct connection.

I did follow you instructions to the letter. That part worked well. I then went to the bottom of the Outlook Express email list, clicked on the already installed newsgroup icon. After expanding the news group folder and there I found the newsgroup file you suggested installed.

Next I clicked that newsgroup and proceeded to email my request for animated pics. Therefore, I used my personal email to send the request. Not one from within the newsgroup. I found no means by which to do it that way while selecting the NG.

As I stated prior, I have gotten in two replies from the same person. Neither pic submitted is perfectly what I wanted. Close but not exactly. Possibly more may arrive.

Wherever my request is posted, I can assure you I haven't got the foggiest idea...haha...but I can tell you it was done yesterday and someone has read it and replied...LOL

Regards

Old 06-10-01, 04:25 PM
Tom I'm learning how to make these animated gifs, I made one for Jeff in has forum, I see what I can do for you, I just now learned how to manipulate a picture using PSP 5.0, I is easy just getting used to it is hard.

I'm on that NG also

Old 06-10-01, 07:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Tom,

Next I clicked that newsgroup and proceeded to email my request for animated pics. Therefore, I used my personal email to send the request. Not one from within the newsgroup. I found no means by which to do it that way while selecting the NG.
I think that must be why you don't see the list, (and the glasses). When I click on the NG, a new set of tools appears in the toobar...for posting on the NG...they are different than the regular mail.. I would guess it may be because you are on cable. I'm on a dial-up, so the set up may be different. What name did you post under?? I'll look again.

I still didn't see your post which you referred to where you had answered my questions ???

Does UUB work on this board??

Pat

Old 06-10-01, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Ron.

VERY COOL!

Old 06-10-01, 08:05 PM
Wink

However I did not make mine, I got it off a site from someone on the NG.

Old 06-11-01, 04:54 AM
BSB
Tom,

When adding a news group try this...

1. Open explorer (given...also does not matter what type of connection you have (i.e. dialup,cable, dsl, T-1....))

2. Click on tools

3. Click on accounts

4. Select the News tab

5. Add new news group.

6. Enter your information, and then the name of the news.group.server. (I could not get news.prodigy.net to download any headers, But I have several MS groups and bellsouth groups) (just figured out why I cant get prodogy to download at this time)

Once you click finish, it will add the group to your folder colum under local folders. It will then ask you if you would like to download the list of availible groups. Find the one you want, hilight it, and click on subscribe.

It should then download the most recent 300 headers for you to browse. Each time you open the NG it will download any new posts. But most of the time it is limited to 300 max headers.

Once you have subscribed you see the newsgroup server and the news group under it. and you are ready to send and receive news.

G'luck

Brian.

p.s. I cant get prodogy news because I am behind a proxy set up by bellsouth to protect us (them) from "unacceptable" internet info. time to see just how good this proxy is.

"Computer security is a goal that can never be reached."

Old 06-11-01, 07:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

BSB,

p.s. I cant get prodogy news because I am behind a proxy set up by bellsouth to protect us (them) from "unacceptable" internet info. time to see just how good this proxy is
I guess you are protected from us "Evil Dooers"! It's a jungle out there! LOL

Thanks for clarifying that!

Pat (Them)