Open House Ethernet Data Hub Wiring

Old 04-23-20, 12:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Open House Ethernet Data Hub Wiring

I am working on a house with an "Open House Ethernet Data Hub (H628). It was wired by another person, and they reversed the T&R wiring. IE: Brown and Light Brown are switched on the punchdown. The manual for the hub is attached. It lists Brown, Light Brown, Green, Light Green, Orange, Light Orange, Blue, Light Blue in that order (Light colors can also be striped, depending on the cable).
It's actually wired Light Brown, Brown, Light Green, Green, Light Orange, Orange, Light Blue, Blue.
The manual shows the color guide for connecting a RJ45 connector - Light Green, Green, Light Orange, Blue, Light Blue, Orange, Light Brown, Brown.
Since it is punched down incorrectly I made the assumption for the RJ45 connector:
Green, Light Green, Orange, Light Blue, Light Orange, Brown, Light Brown.
When I connected the RJ45 to the colors above, my network cable tester shows the lights in the following order: 1, 2, 3, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4. (should be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I connected the tester to the hub using a regular RJ45-RJ45 cable to the RJ45 port on the hub (testing the cable shows it's wired correctly).
I am lost. The connection SHOULD work, but I can't figure it out, and if I continue to test in this manner I'll run out of cable (it's coming out from the wall and has about 6" left).
Can anyone help?

Attached Images
Old 04-23-20, 02:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
When I run into work someone else has done and they used a different color scheme than I'm using the first thing I do is re-do their work so the colors match everything I will be doing. I often don't even try to figure out what they had done. Just start fresh with all the coloring to the way you are wiring. If you have the crimper and are making up your own cables it's a pretty simple matter to get everything in your house on the same color scheme.

Old 04-23-20, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I agree. It's very important to maintain a known standard for future servicing and expansion.
I use predominantly T568B wiring but your system calls for T568A standard.

Name:  t.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 04-23-20, 03:01 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
hi -

It’s probably just a typo but I think you forgot Blue in your list (shouldn't it be):

Light Green---->Green
Green---->Light Green
Light Orange-->Orange
Blue--->Light Blue
Light Blue--->Blue (missing)
Orange ->Light Orange
Light Brown--->Brown
Brown-->Light brown

It's been a while since I fooled with cables (and nowadays I can't remember even 2 days ago), but why do you have to keep cutting back the cable coming out of the wall? Can’t you do some stripping and lightly and carefully twist different wires together and use your tester on different configurations until you find the correct one? Seems like you should be able to do that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: