Using different size wire for ethernet?

Old 05-16-20, 07:28 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Using different size wire for ethernet?

So I have a barn 100' from my house that I'd like to connect to the internet. When we had our septic system redone I had to run electrical down there and also laid down in the trench cable I got from Comcast. The cable is sheathed in copper and water proofing gel with 10 wires and a bigger gauge than the typical ethernet cable because I couldn't use the normal RJ45 plugs. So I had to use wire nuts to connect the bigger wire but it's not working. I'm not sure if it's my connections or the fact the bigger wire is absorbing the signal. So my question are:
  1. Are there RJ45 plugs for that bigger wire?
  2. How can I tell the size of the wire since it's slightly bigger than typical indoor RJ45?
  3. Do I need a booster to get through the wire?
Thanks for your time.

Old 05-16-20, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
The cable is sheathed in copper and water proofing gel with 10 wires
We'd need to know what type of wire that is.
The cable companies don't normally use underground Ethernet cabling.
That sounds like standard telephone wiring cable.
Ethernet requires twisted pair cabling.

Can you strip it and post a picture of it for us...... How-to-insert-pictures.

You may have to punch it down onto a RJ45 type jack. Then you'd use a short patch cable.
Name:  rj45.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  8.4 KB

drumz voted this post useful.
Old 05-16-20, 09:31 PM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
If I can remember correct from cabling training Ethernet was good for 300' before a booster was needed. Ethernet cable is specifically designed for the frequencies. The twists per inch on each pair is specific. Each pair has a different twist per inch to avoid cross talk etc.

Old 05-16-20, 09:36 PM
D
You're correct, that's what it is, telephone wire. It was not twisted but the color coding was good so I just followed it on both ends.It's almost dark but will take a pic.

Old 05-16-20, 09:49 PM
D
Here's a pic of the wire. It is telephone wire which is probably why it was free. But still, shouldn't it work?
And oh, it's 12 wires!

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-20, 10:49 PM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
Without the pairs being twisted there could be lots of interference and frequency losses.

Old 05-16-20, 11:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
CAT1 is typically used for telephone wire. This type of wire is not capable of supporting computer network traffic and is not twisted. CAT1 is also used by telco companies providing ISDN and PSTN services.

It will be a crap shoot if it works.

Old 05-17-20, 11:18 AM
D
Ok thanks. I guess I need to buy 150' of outdoor ethernet cable and run it down there.

Old 05-18-20, 11:37 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
One idea... Though standard ethernet cable isn't rated for outdoors, you'll probably get a year or two (or maybe 5) out of it. So if it's not that hard to run, it might be cost effective to run standard cable, and replace it when it goes bad.

Of course if you're trenching and all that - you probably only want to do it once. But at least it's a path worth considering.

--- Edit ---
I realized outdoor rated cable is way less expensive than it used to be. So I withdraw my suggestion!
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Water.../dp/B06XSNX4VP

Old 05-18-20, 12:28 PM
H
Received 136 Votes on 118 Posts
I've got roughly the same situation- after MANY tries at different configurations I went with 150' of a direct bury UV stable ethernet cable from eBay, cost around $30-$50. I've actually installed my cable aerially, because I could re-using the strain relief hangers from a prior aerial telephone line.

Standard phone wires generally max out their with a 56k modem, you can stretch to 6 mb with DSL. For ethernet speeds, you need MUCH better wiring, which is, fortunately, rather cheap.

Old 05-19-20, 01:54 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
You should also look at surge protection on each end of your buried cable. Otherwise you my fry whatever is connected to the cable. How do I know this? Don't ask.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: