Lenovo Laptop Broken Screen Hinge

Old 05-31-20, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Lenovo Laptop Broken Screen Hinge

The right screen hinge on my 3 years old Lenovo laptop (IdeaPad Flex 5-1570 80XB0006US) is broken. Searching the web I understand this a common problem on these laptops and I know why; both screen hinges were very hard to swing from day one but I thought this is normal on these units because the screen can swing 180 deg. When I opened the unit the 2 screws of the hinge holding it to the bottom frame have plastic nuts embedded into a metal piece (part of the chassis), a very bad idea. These plastic nuts are broken now.

I can fix the problem I have but with the hinge been so stiff any fix I do will soon fail and I see nothing on the hinge to indicate how to loosen it up a bit .

Any ideas how to loosen up the hinge?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-20, 08:41 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
I cant tell you how to loosen the hinge but I can tell you that I had the same issue a few years ago. I took it to the shop to get the hinge replaced & it was about $200 parts & labor.
I put that $200 in a new computer & trashed the old broken one.

A few years later, I had another laptop that also broke a hinge. I'll admit upfront that you cant do this with all laptops because of the way the motherboard is designed & placed in the case, but... when my hinge broke, it pushed the case apart as I opened the laptop. As it pushed the case apart, I could see inside the case. I had enough room to use a drill & drill a hole through the case & put a screw through the case, holding the case closed.

I'll be the first to admit, Its not an ideal fix, & normally, I wouldn't do it but it was a cheap laptop, that stayed in the truck mostly as a GPS..... so it wasnt anything important.
I'm just saying, if your not too worried about this kind of fix in your scenario, its a cheap fix that has lasted me about 3 or 4 years now on a cheap, low end laptop.

Most shops are going to charge you $150 just to look at it. You already know its cheap & its gonna break again. In short, find a cheap fix or just put your money in a new laptop.

Just my .02.

EDIT: I researched a little & came up with this. Maybe it will be of some help. Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA5wo8cP7AM

Old 05-31-20, 09:07 PM
Thanks for your time and I agree what you say but if I don’t loosen up the hinge there is no fix. I may consider purchasing a new set of hinges, about $50, but that will be a gamble since the new hinges may as well be as stiff as the ones I have. For the time been I keep the laptop screen open and I can live with that. BTW thanks for the video but my hinges are not similar

Old 06-01-20, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Try working some lock graphite into hinge before you install. I had same problem with other type laptops and helped. Could put a drop of pb blaster in it but will smell and not last as long.

Old 06-01-20, 08:28 AM
As you can see from the attached photo, the hinge is not like what we think of a hinge. First there is no place to put any lubricant on it and second I think they try to isolate (electrically) the hinge from the chassis.

In the attached photo, you can see the hinge at the top left. The hinge has 3 holes on it (only the 2 at the right were used) and under it you can see at that metal piece parts of the 2 broken plastic sleeves. At the top of the hinge you can see this cylinder which is the swivel part of the hinge. At the left of this cylinder there are 2 rivets and I donít know how to remove them. Also at the right of the cylinder you can see a cable is going thru the cylinder and I think thatís why they had plastic sleeves on the screws to avoid short circuit between the hinge and the chassis.

Now Iím collecting info on how to remove the screen and hinge and so far I havenít been able to find anything looking similar to my hinge

Attached Images  
Old 06-16-20, 12:17 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Found two resources for you to look at. First, is the Flex 5's service manual here:
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer...hmm_201703.pdf

If you go to page 59, it has instructions for replacing the hinges. Note, however, that it requires removing almost all the components in the laptop before removing the screen.

I also found this video on Youtube of a complete disassembly of the Flex 5 1570:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWuYDrgoS0&t=322s

At about 7 minutes, he discusses separating the screen from the base to get at the hinges. He also recommends simply replacing the entire screen instead of taking apart the screen to get at the hinges. I tend to agree, but if you want to go ahead and try it, he starts disassembling the LCD at 9 minutes.

EDIT: I saw in another thread that you already figured this one out. You might still find the manual useful at some point.

Old 06-16-20, 06:35 AM
Thanks for your time imrazor but as you noticed I got it fixed and it works really well now