Direct burial coaxial cable

Old 06-02-20, 07:45 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Direct burial coaxial cable

I would like to know what the difference is between different types of RG6 coaxial cables.

I know the standard ones we use indoors.

Then there are some that are rated "WEATHERPROOF".

Then there are some that are rated for "DIRECT BURIAL". I think the direct burial cable is weatherproof but the weatherproof cable is not necessarily for direct burial.

I have a picture from a vendor showing both but it is not obvious to me what the difference is.

My specific questions:

(1) Is the difference in the actual connectors? or the actual cable? Both connectors look the same to me.

(2) If there are weatherproof vs direct burial cables, are there weatherproof vs direct burial connectors?

(3) I tried a regular RG6 coaxial stripper to strip a direct burial RG6 cable provided by my cable provider, a piece of left over, and I cannot get a standard RG6 connector on it. The foam insulated portion will not go inside the hole fully, making me think may be the direct burial cable needs a direct burial connector? Or the stripping needs to be different?[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-20, 08:38 AM
Z
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I havenít done that many cables (but some) and your question got me thinking. I found those instructions below, something I never thought about before. Maybe it will help. Seems like it is universal.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...aac9c21246.pdf

Old 06-03-20, 10:19 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
(1) Is the difference in the actual connectors? or the actual cable? Both connectors look the same to me.

The jacketing on the cable is different and often the foam interior is a different composition. Mosture significantly affects the foam dielectric, so it's important that no water gets in there.
Weatherproof connectors often have additional rubber rings on them to help stop moisture, though the higher quality connectors are good for both indoor and outdoor use.

(2) If there are weatherproof vs direct burial cables, are there weatherproof vs direct burial connectors?
I don't know that I've ever seen direct burial connectors, I think it's always assumed that the connections would be above ground.

(3) I tried a regular RG6 coaxial stripper to strip a direct burial RG6 cable provided by my cable provider, a piece of left over, and I cannot get a standard RG6 connector on it
Remember there's a big difference between RG6 (double-shield) and RG6/Q (quad shield). Some strippers and connectors are good for one, the other or both. As far as I'm aware, the specs on the actual cables are the same whether it's indoor, weatherproof, or direct burial.

Old 06-03-20, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 830 Votes on 777 Posts
I thought we covered the subject pretty well previously........ comcast-cable-tv-cable-repair.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.