How do you Remove this Hinge?

Old 06-04-20, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How do you Remove this Hinge?

I'm not able to turn either way both hinges in the attached pictures and I wonder it its possible they only move when the power is ON? From day one the hinges were kind of hard to move but I thought they must be like that because the screen can fold 180 deg, and use the laptop as a tablet. The laptop is Lenovo Flex 5-1570.

The 2 rivets at the left of the hinge (I call them rivets because they are not screws, they are flat on the top and nothing on the other side) are attached to the plastic and flimsy LCD enclosure which is very delicate and I'm surprised this has not been broken.

Any idea how to remove the hinges to find out why they are so stiff?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-20, 11:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Will the plastic enclosure come off? If you don't mind how it looks cover can break off. Rived hinges you will have to drill rivet out and replace with screws. Before you do that be sure that is the only thing holding hinge on.

Old 06-04-20, 01:31 PM
Plastic enclosure is part of the LCD and I was planning to remove the LCD from the enclosure but I realised that will give me nothing since the hinge is attached only to the enclosure. It is clear that the hinge is holding to the enclosure with these 2 "rivets". I don't care about the looks

Old 06-04-20, 11:48 PM
FINALLY SUCCESS!

After looking at it with magnifying glass many times I was able to figure it out. The best part is that I can re use the existing hinges. When I will put it back together I will consider leaving the hinge enclosure off because now I turned the tension nuts back about 1.5 turns and I don't know if the laptop cover (LCD screen) will be too loose or not. I don't mind to have the gears exposed.

Attached Images    
Old 06-05-20, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job Will save this for future as I have two lap tops we dropped on power cord connection and connector in computer broke loose. Best I can see how to take back off is it snaps on with a few screws holding it. May have to do something with hinges also.

Old 06-05-20, 05:02 PM
The left hinge M2.5 mounting plastic holes were broken so to fix them: I used match sticks to hold the nuts and then filled the broken holes with Gorilla glue. Then pushed the nuts into the glue and waiting now to dry. After it is dry, I will drill the match stick out and try to screw the bolts into the nuts and.... hopefully will hold. In any case now the hinges are working freely and it should not be too much force on these 2 bolts.

The best would have been to drill right thru and use new bolts/nuts to secure the hinge but on the other side there is the keyboard and although the new holes will be missing the keyboard, the LCD screen when its closed will touch the head of the new bolts and it may damage the screen. In addition the plastic around the keyboard is paper thin and any force on it will easily damage it.

Any other ideas are welcomed

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-20, 02:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try screwing the match sticks out first. sometimes works.

Old 06-07-20, 12:47 AM
It’s all done but adjusting the tension on the hinges proved to be a real pain. The hinges on the Lenovo Flex 5 are only accessible after you remove everything including the LCD glass screen. In addition, there is no way to know how much tension you apply on the hinges until you put everything back. So I had to do it 3 times and still the hinges are now kind of loose because if I open the laptop to more than 100 degrees the screen will fall flat on the table (my screen can swing 180 deg and the laptop then becomes a tablet). I don’t want to do it again for the 4th time because I’m afraid I may break one of the many delicate connectors so I may try to put something on the exterior of the hinges to stiffen them a bit more. Bottom line I’m happy I did all this work because now I can open/close the laptop using one hand where before the hinges were kind of solid, no movement at all.