Low on toner already............seriously?

Old 06-21-20, 04:29 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Low on toner already............seriously?

I have an HP all-in-one laser jet printer less than a year old. It is model MFP M148fdw. The included toner cartridge is good for about 1000 pages.

I am already getting messages from the display that it is very low on toner (black only) I don't even print that much. How is this possible? It still prints fine with this message.

Is there some way I can make this message go away? I remember office workers used to shake the toner cartridges.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-20, 04:41 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
I always gently rock the toner back and forth once the toner starts getting spotty. It helps a bit and keeps it going a bit longer. You can usually keep printing until the print gets too light for your tastes.

Many printers ship with low-capacity toner cartridges. So just because you got 1000 pages with this cartridge, you will probably get more with a standard cartridge.

There's probably a menu item to print a diagnostics page. That page will show how many pages you printed. Of course it depends if you're printing text (10-20% coverage) or photos (70-80+% coverage).

I've had good luck with 3rd party toner from Amazon. It's a LOT cheaper than the OEM toner. Occasionally, a not-so-great cartridge comes through, but at $15 per cartridge, it's not a huge loss.

Old 06-21-20, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
After gently shaking the toner cartridge you could follow the clearing steps in the link below.
HP support for laser printer

Old 06-22-20, 07:32 AM
B
Ok. Thanks for the tips. I only printed about 50 pages on the starter toner cartridge. I found a date on the cartridge. I sent a photo of it to HP to see if the product came with an expired cartridge. Maybe they'll send me another replacement cartridge.

Old 06-26-20, 02:30 PM
B
I'm going to buy a new discounted toner cartridge somewhere. HP already gave me a big reduction on the listed price when I purchased the printer. So I can't ask anything more of them. We can close out this discussion. Thanks.