Vehicle FM transmitter using memory card

Old 07-04-20, 07:38 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vehicle FM transmitter using memory card

I wasn't sure which forum in which to place the question - sorry if this isn't the right one. I'm using an FM transmitter to play music in my car with an SD memory card inserted. It can also stream from a device with Bluetooth, or use USB memory. I like using the memory card since it just turns on and plays. I don't want to have to set the phone up every time. Is there a way to access a particular folder on the SD memory card, i.e a particular playlist? I'm thinking not, the only option I see is to skip to the next tune.

I previously used a program years ago when I had Windows Vista that would compile the playlist into one file. I'd do that when I wanted a playlist with segues, fading out/in to other tunes. The program isn't compatible with newer Windows formats. I do have Audacity, but it would be extremely time consuming to make one long file with that.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-20, 08:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 528 Votes on 485 Posts
Your asking us how to use your device and you haven't even told us what the device is. Does it have a name? A brand? Do you have any pictures of it?

Old 07-04-20, 08:44 AM
H
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by stevek66
I'm using an FM transmitter to play music in my car with an SD memory card inserted
Let me try and figure this out.
You've got an MP3 player that reads music files off of a SD card and plays them through FM radio?
Something like this?

And you're listening to the music through the car stereo by tuning to a specific FM channel?

Is there a way to access a particular folder on the SD memory card, i.e a particular playlist?
The entirely depends on how the controls for the FM/MP3 player are configured. There MIGHT be an updated firmware, but you'll have to lookup the make and model number, then search the manufacture's website.

The program isn't compatible with newer Windows formats.
This sounds like the old editing program won't run under Windows 7/Windows 10.
That is actually straightforward to fix, Windows 10 has a "troubleshoot compatability" function, which allows the Windows7/Windows10 computer to run older versions of software.
If the program is already installed (i.e. the program used to work on the the computer you're using, but updating the computer to Win7/Win10 caused the program to stop working) then it's a few steps.
Select the program from the Win10 start menu, right click and select "MORE" then "OPEN FILE LOCATION", a new window opens, then right click the sound editing program and select "TROUBLESHOOT COMPATIBILITY" then "Troubleshoot program" and follow the prompts. That SHOULD tell Win7/Win10 how to run the old program, which SHOULD allow you to compile a single large file and play that, as you had been doing before.

Old 07-04-20, 12:02 PM
S
Yes a Bluetooth receiver (if streaming from a phone) that has an SD memory card and USB drive options to also play music that transmits on a vacant FM frequency. It's a Roadtripper Sound by Bracketron. Nowhere in the instructions does it mention how to access a specific folder when using SD or USB memory. I looked at manuals of other similar devices, they don't appear to have the option either. Probably if that feature is available at all it would only be available with media receivers that have memory card options, but typically no CD player. It's not a big deal. A different playlist could be accessed by switching to the other memory source or stream from the phone. I did submit the question on the manufacturer's website.

As for the music editing program I had, the first thing I tried years ago was Windows Compatibility mode. There's a long discussion on Acoustica's (the program) forum about it not working with later Windows releases. Acoustica said they're no longer supporting it, 'because it's old' and offer a replacement program to buy. Years ago I'd spend a lot of time making playlists with segues - it's really not a priority for me now. I'm one of the few that still purchase music online (not CDs, but digital downloads). I've become used to the spaces between tunes, It took a while - I've been making playlists with segues since the 70s with cassette and reel to reel.

I like that it's unobtrusive and it automatically plays when the car is started. Sure it's not as good as an aux in jack but it's acceptable.

Last edited by stevek66; 07-04-20 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 07-04-20, 12:42 PM
H
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
For "Acoustica" if you have a newish computer that runs "VMware" or Macrium viBoot, you could probably run the program a "virtual XP machine" which would THEN run the program.

Now it looks like the FM/MP3 player does play most common files-so, for my MP3 drives / MP3 SD cards, I just dump all the music into the root directory, that way I'm sure it plays. However, depending on the logic the MP3 player uses, you may get weird playback - by date instead of by name, or by Artist name.
That's usually an issue with the metadata on the MP3 file, which is an issue that could fill an entire thread.

Old 07-04-20, 01:33 PM
S
I wish I had a newish computer! I was surprised and lucky I guess that both the SD card and USB drive both retained the playlist order. I saw the WMPInfio.xml file in the root directory of both, which I believes contains the playlist order. I while ago I bought software that will rename a list of files in the desired order if that wasn't the case. It would put a 01- 02- 03- etc... in front of each file in the order that they were arranged in.

Like you - I just put everything on the root the directory which plays fine. I'm new to playing from a basic memory device in a vehicle, so there's probably some things I'm not used to that I'll run into.