Tablet problems

Old 07-04-20, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tablet problems

My Insigna 10 inch tablet is getting worse about telling me Google Chrome is not responding,
chrome has stopped, no internet connection, playstore has stopped and other things. It is android 6.0.1 with a security patch date of Sept. 1, 2016 which I think is about when I purchased it. Most times the internet is connected but the tablet says it is not. I turn the wi-fi off and back on and it is good. Sometimes the Chrome can be fixed by closing it down then restarting and sometimes it just starts working ok on it's own. Do you think the problem is the android is 6.0.1 and not working due to no updates? There is no such thing on this tablet as updating to the latest version. I tried a factory reset which took it back to original specs. It updated Chrome after that but still the same problems. It works great when it works and it last all day for me. I hate to buy a new one when this one still works but I can't do anything quick on it as it takes a bit to restart it every time to get to the internet. Sometimes it is 5 minutes or so before it works smoothly then it works great until I turn it off and start back up later. it is just during the initial starts that it acts up. Is there anything I van do besides buy a new tablet?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-20, 02:03 PM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
hi badeyeben -

I would eliminate Chrome for the time being and install another browser like Firefox and see what happens.

(Supposedly DNS cache can cause some Chrome problems, so maybe flushing the Chrome DNS cache would help, but if it were me I would bypass the entire Chrome browser for testing and install another browser just for now.)

Most times the internet is connected but the tablet says it is not.
Do you mean at the tablet you don’t have a WiFi connection to the router but you know the router has a good internet connection?

Old 07-06-20, 02:46 PM
I do have Firefox installed. I will try it a few days and see what happens. And to your question YES my tablet says no connection but the router just 15 feet away says different. All the internet and wi-fi and dsl lights are on and green. Youtube gives me fits on both browsers as well. Sometimes I must shut down and reload 2 or 3 times to get sound and picture to show. I know my dsl is slow (2mps max) but it is the fastest option I have without lag.

Old 07-07-20, 10:12 AM
Z
badeyeben-

I know my dsl is slow (2mps max) but it is the fastest option I have without lag.
I think that would be too slow for some YouTube videos – at least for those in HD. You can Google and find a free internet speed test for your tablet. “SpeedTest” by Ookla I think will work on an Android device. Speed may be your problem with YouTube.

But I don’t see how that would affect your WiFi connection problem. In other words, it seems to me you have 2 problems: WiFi connection and internet speed.

I would start by logging in to the router and monitor things and take a look at what’s connected and also look at the router logs. That may give you a hint as to what might be going on when you are having a problem– maybe. But most likely the problem is with the tablet itself. I assume you don’t have any other WiFi devices connected to the router.

I would also reboot the router. Also check to see if there is any updated firmware for you router (sometimes it’s just a matter of time, flawed software/firmware creeps slowly but surely day by day towards the point of failure, and it may just be intermittent failure from that point on). And for the same reason check to see if there are updates for the Android OS.

I think also make sure data and time are always correct on the tablet, although that’ s a long shot.

I think you could also find one of those WiFi testing apps for Android (I think some are free, but not sure) and run it on the tablet and see if that shows something.

Old 07-07-20, 10:44 AM
M
Received 144 Votes on 131 Posts
Download the wi-fi signal strength app.
Check for strength and stability.

Old 07-09-20, 08:40 AM
Ok I will try the things suggested. The router is furnished by the internet provider (Frontier) so I am not sure they ever update it. how do I access the logs on the router to see them? Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.

Old 07-09-20, 09:59 AM
Z
badeyeben-

You use your browser to access your router information. Once you get access to the router you will have to look around to see what if any logging information exists. The http addresses that you use in your browser are listed in the link below for different modem/router models. You might have to experiment a little (my Netgear is actually 198.168.1.1 not 198.168.0.1 as in the list). You also use the default username and password in the list , assuming you have never reset the defaults:

https://19216811.wiki/default-router-passwords/

Old 07-09-20, 11:16 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Most (if not all) Frontier router & modem combos default IP address to access the web based configuration page is 192.168.254.254 the password (access code) is printed somewhere on the bottom of the device. The access code (as they call it) is different from the WiFi SSID (broadcasted network name) and password that is usually near the bottom of the tag on the device, also there should be a sticker (hopefully it is still there) that is taped somewhere on the unit.

If you can get into the router configuration page I would change both DNS servers from the default Frontier ones I just did that yesterday for a friend who has Frontier that really made a big improvement in the speed of loading websites.

I used 1.1.1.1 (main or primary) and 1.0.0.1 (backup or secondary) this is a faster and free DNS alternative