No content on Safari

Old 07-05-20, 07:08 AM
Received 42 Votes on 35 Posts
No content on Safari

Yesterday and today I have encountered a problem accessing the DIY site using Safari. Pages load but show no content--just a blank screen with page title above. This has happened when I try to load directly or from links in forum email notifications. This morning it also happened when I tried the link to an article in the daily DIY email.

If I do happen to get a page with the usual header, when I click on "New Posts" I get a message that there are no new posts available.

Logging in through FireFox and all seems to be working OK there.

Is there something going on with the site that may be causing this? I have restarted the computer, Safari, and cleared cache but the problem persists.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-20, 06:47 AM
This is still happening but only on links to posts. Forum listings are showing up. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 07-07-20, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
Are you using Safari on a Windows computer? I use it on my IPhone and everything is fine there. I ask because I think it's optimized to be used on a Mac or IPhone and maybe that's the problem. If you don't like FF, maybe try Chrome. Otherwise, have no suggestions.

p.s. I moved this to Computers.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-07-20 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-07-20, 11:23 AM
Here is my first reply that failed to post via Safari:
Using Safari on Mac. Has been working fine on DIY Forums for years. Just started getting glitchy and only on this site.

Thanks for moving thread to Computers. I thought there was a Computer forum but couldn't find it when posting originally.

BTW worked fine this time to reach this thread from email notification link.
Now I'm using FF to post this:

Worked fine for me to see the thread but failed to post my reply. Window came up blank again and when I used FF to go to thread the reply was not there.

Old 07-07-20, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
I’ll point this thread to the techs and see if they have any suggestions.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-20, 07:30 AM
Just went through my usual morning click-and-read routine with no problems.

I have noticed recently a message that appears below the Message window when writing a reply that says "Browser localStorage (sic) is full, clear your browser storage." The message appears for a few seconds then disappears and reappears every few seconds (not flashing on-and-off). I think I first noticed it after the Attachments storage change was made.

What is that? Where is the referenced storage and how do I clear it? It does not appear to have any relation to the original problem in this thread.

Old 07-08-20, 09:58 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
"Browser localStorage (sic) is full, clear your browser storage."
I had that same issue a couple weeks ago. I assume it has to do with a handful of updates the tech team here has been doing and something didn't quite jive with an old version (though that's a guess).

I was able to resolve it by going into settings and removing cookies and local storage for this website. Logged back in, and everything worked as expected. I'd imagine that will solve your loading issues too.

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Remove All Website Data (or Details and find doityourself.com and delete those)

Old 07-10-20, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
The techs did some testing and are not finding any problems. I wonder if you have some plug-in or extension running that's causing the issue. I had something running in Chrome recently that wouldn't let me clear my cache. When I disabled it, all was good again.