Computer PSU tripped electric box

Old 08-01-20, 07:01 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer PSU tripped electric box

Hi need some advice my pc mouse fell down the back of the computer and touched the PSU and sparked then there was a burning smell and it tripped the switch on the electric box in cupboard, the computer works fine was just wondering why it happened and if it's safe to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-20, 07:10 AM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Did the mouse fall inside the computer, or just touch the outside of the case? There shouldn't be any exposed wires outside of the case. Could you tell where the spark came from (motherboard or PSU) or where the burning smell came from? If everything is working normally, I guess I'd just keep an eye on it and see if you get the burning smell again.

Old 08-01-20, 07:13 AM
A
The mouse just touched the outside of the case at the bottom were the power supply cable plugs into the PSU there's no exposed wires anywhere and that's where the spark came from

Old 08-01-20, 08:39 AM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "where the power supply cable plugs into the PSU". There should not be any external cables other than the AC power cord. Is that what you're referring to?

Old 08-01-20, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
I'd be inclined to think that maybe something metal like a paperclip fell at the same time and went in to the power supply. If you're sure only the mouse fell.... then something inside the power supply got jarred and I'd recommend replacing the PSU.

Old 08-01-20, 09:59 AM
A
I just though we have a usb wall charging point so maybe the phone charger touched the case

Old 08-01-20, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Sometimes we can't envision a setup.
A picture or two can usually clear up any questions..... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 08-01-20, 11:49 AM
A
Well if the phone charger wire plugged into the usb wall socket touched the PSU would that trip the electric switch? Cause I don't think the plastic off the mouse would have caused it

Old 08-01-20, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
No... the plastic mouse should not have caused a problem.

If the metal end of the phone charger touched the metal psu and cause a short..... that would indicate a "non isolated from line" phone charger. That's usually found on inexpensive aftermarket chargers.

In that case..... I'd recommend replacing the phone charger or use a name brand type.

Just to expound..... I am assuming the metal case of the charger is grounded. It should be grounded if it is has a three prong plug. In order to save money..... many inexpensive chargers are not isolated from the AC line and the metal end or one of the pins could be hot with respect to ground. You would need a meter to confirm this issue. If you know someone that has one.... it'd be a good idea to have it tested.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-01-20 at 01:28 PM.