Portable Hard Drive Mac to PC

Old 08-06-20, 09:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Portable Hard Drive Mac to PC

I have a Seagate portable hard drive that was used for backing up my Mac computer. I would now like to reformat the drive to use backing up a PC. When connected to a PC the drive does not even appear. Is there a way to force my PC to recognize or format the drive? Is there something I should/could do with the drive if plugged into a Mac that would make it visible to a PC?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-20, 10:43 AM
F
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Both OSes should be able to read a HDD formatted in Fat32. I don't know what your HDD is formatted in but Mac has used (the obviously proprietary) Apple File System since 10.13 as the default and before that it was HFS+, neither of which is 'natively' readable by Windows.

When plugged into the Windows system have you checked to see if it appears under Disk Management?
Start> My Computer> Manage> Disk Management

Old 08-06-20, 10:51 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
I agree with Fred. Assuming the drive shows up in Disk Management, you should be able to delete the partition and reformat the drive to either FAT32 or NTFS. FAT32 is compatible with the Mac, but has the limitation of having a 2TB max partition size and a 2GB limitation for the max file size. NTFS has neither of these limitations, but is incompatible with the Mac.

Old 08-06-20, 11:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Nope, the drive is not showing up in disk manager.

Old 08-06-20, 01:20 PM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
I can offer 3 suggestions. First, if you still have the Mac, connect the drive to it to verify that it is still working.

Second, use a third party partition manager such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Free (https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html) and see if it recognizes the drive. If it does, you can use it to delete the existing partition and re-partition/format for Windows.

Third, it your Windows machine is a desktop, remove the hard drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to the computer and see if it shows up. This is a long shot, since it should be recognized in the USB enclosure, but worth a try if it's easy to setup.

Old 08-06-20, 04:00 PM
Z
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Does the drive show up in Device Manager in the PC?

Old 08-06-20, 04:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
After getting home from work I got out the old Mac and did a quick format to a Windows format. After that my Windows machine was able to see the drive and I'm doing a thorough re-format now.