Which of these Ultrawide monitors?

Old 08-12-20, 05:41 PM
D
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which of these Ultrawide monitors?

Since I will be permanently working from home, I do a lot of work that requires viewing 2 or 3 screens at once. I don't have room for 2 monitors so was looking at an Ultrawide that is not too expensive. I was going to get this LG at Costco for $300 which is 2560x1080 and was not looking at higher resolution ones because this is about as much as I want to spend. However, I just went there and they had a Samsung similar to this one (i believe Costco just has slightly different model numbers but the specs look the same) which is 3440x1440 and it is also $300. Is there any question here between the two? Is the higher resolution one for the same price the better option, or is there more to it than that? I don't do any gaming, mostly just productivity work stuff. I may also do some photo or video editing when working with my own stuff. Thanks.

Old 08-12-20, 06:03 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Apart from the resolution difference, the main difference is the panel type. The LG uses an IPS panel, while the Samsung uses a VA panel. Both types have their advantages/disadvantages. The IPS will have a wider viewing angle, but slightly longer response time. The VA has better contrast, but narrower viewing angle.

I do a lot of photo/video editing. I purchased an IPS panel monitor because of the wider viewing angle. I can move around a little and the image looks the same. If you plan on doing any photo/video editing, the LG would be the better choice because of the wider viewing angle, unless you're going to be viewing it straight on and not move around much.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-12-20, 06:09 PM
D
I will be sitting at this thing 8 hours a day everyday viewing documents, text, web pages, etc. for work. The photo/video editing will be rare, just when I get around to doing my pictures so no unusual amount of time on that. If I had to put a percentage, it is going to be used 90% of the time or more just for viewing text and stuff where I will be sitting right in front of it. Does that make any difference in opinion or is the LG still a better choice? How much difference does that resolution make anyways? I want whatever is going to be easier on my eyes for reading text all day.

Old 08-13-20, 06:24 AM
For general use (documents with text), either monitor will work fine. One thing to keep in mind is the higher the resolution (for the same size screen), the smaller the text will be (higher dots/inch). If your eyesight is anything like mine (I'm 71), you don't want the text too small.

Old 08-13-20, 07:50 AM
C
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the Samsung and the stupid power plug pops out all the time. I do like the 1440p. I am thinking about eventually getting a second one but it will not be samsung with the issues I have.

Old 08-13-20, 09:59 AM
D
So as far as resolution goes, does that mean that if you adjust the text to be the same size on both monitors, they will look the same? Meaning if you enlarge the text on the higher res monitor, it won't look any different than how it would on the 1080 one without resiszing? I should note that I sit about 3 feet away from this and will be using a HDMI KVM switch with a max refresh rate of 60Hz. I do wear glasses for distance (I can still read far away but this just clears things up a little and I use them when watching TV sometimes to make it look clearer) but I do not use them for looking at laptops up close.

Old 08-13-20, 12:55 PM
If you use the scaling in Windows, they should look about the same. However, the higher resolution monitor with scaling may look slightly "softer" because of the scaling.

Old 08-18-20, 02:59 PM
D
I ended up getting both of them to try them out. When I hook a Surface or this other tablet I have to it, it displays fine in 3440x1440. Even though the text is smaller, I like how clear it is, but I don't know if I am going to be able to read it considering I sit about 3 feet away. However, when I switchover to my desktop, the most it will display is 1920x1080. I know this has an old GPU (GeForce GT430), so does that just not support that resolution? If I end up having to increase the zoom or text size, am I then just better off staying with the LG since it's native resolution is lower? Is a higher resolution zoomed in going to end up with lower quality than something at native resolution? I am also thinking down the road in case I get a new desktop someday which will support higher resolution.

Last edited by dm888; 08-18-20 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 06:52 AM
The max resolution for your old GeForce GT430 graphics card is 2560x1600, which is why you can't run the Samsung at it's native resolution. Generally speaking, you'll get maximum clarity when the monitor is running at its native resolution. If you run the monitor at something other than its native resolution, each video pixel will cover more than one monitor pixel. If you run the monitor at a resolution that is an even integer of the native resolution (e.g. 1/2 of the native resolution), so that each display pixel is a whole number of monitor pixels (e.g. 2 pixels for 1/2 resolution), the display should be relatively crisp. The problem comes in when the number of monitor pixels is not an integer multiple of display pixels (e.g. 1.35 monitor pixels). This tends to cause fuzzy looking display pixels.

Old 08-19-20, 11:21 AM
D
Ok that makes sense. So I am viewing the same page with a lot of text on both monitors since I have to do a lot of reading of text (hooked up to the tablets that will display in 1440) . On the LG, it is scaled at 100% and on the Samsung I have it scaled to 150% and everything looks the same size. The text on the Samsung appears crisper, clearer. Does that make sense, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Of course on the desktop that does not support the full resolution, it does appear blurrier. If that is the case, maybe I can upgrade my GT430.

Old 08-19-20, 11:50 AM
Actually, I thought the LG would look sharper. However, if the Samsung looks better, then go with it. You should be able to buy a newer graphics card that will support the resolution of the Samsung. You don't need a high-end gaming card, just something that supports the resolution you want.

Old 08-19-20, 01:24 PM
D
I remember like 20 years ago or so, I would have to buy a new computer every few years because they just seemed to get outdated so fast. The one I am using now, I built myself 10 years ago. I have since upgraded the memory to 16 GB and installed a SSD drive, but it has an i5-2500K processor at 3.3GHz and it still seems to perform well. I did got a little cheap on the graphics card though since I don't do any gaming. Is this worth upgrading still? The only thing where it gets slow is when I am dealing with my photo library. I do have thousands of pictures though and when I use a program like ACDSee to view them, it sometimes lags and freezes up. Google Earth, which I use a lot for work, is a little laggy too. Is that something a graphics card will take care of? Is a GT710 or GT1030 a big upgrade from what I have? Thanks!

Old 08-19-20, 02:16 PM
My desktop computer is also home built and is an i5-2500K overclocked to 4.6GHz. So far, I haven't felt the need to upgrade it, as it still performs very well. I'm sure the overclocking helps. I also have a low-end nVidia graphics card as I don't do any gaming. I haven't been following graphics cards, so I can't advise you on a specific model. I would just do a search for a graphics card that can support [color=#141414]3440x1440 resolution and buy the cheapest one. I would expect you should be able to find one for

Old 08-19-20, 04:16 PM
D
Hey, for whoever posted that has the Samsung, how do you get different windows to snap to different parts of the screen? The LG has software that works really well: you can divide your screen up into multiple sections like in half vertically, horizontally, 3 windows, 4 windows, etc.and just snap different open windows to them. Is there a way to do that with the Samsung?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: