Are these motors AC or DC?

Old 09-10-20, 03:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are these motors AC or DC?

The 2 motors in the attached pic are 1.25Ē long by 0.75Ē OD each. I removed them from an old printer years ago and I didnít pay attention at the time to see how they were connected to establish if they are AC or DC (my bad)

Do you know by the looks if they are AC or DC? Is there a way to establish that including the voltage?

The 2 power wires attached are tiny like a thread

Old 09-10-20, 05:10 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
While I can't say for certain, I would be willing to bet that the motors are DC. Almost all printers use DC voltage to run the electronics and motors. As for voltage, I would guess 12VDC maximum. Unlike AC synchronous motors, the speed of these motors depend upon the voltage (higher voltage equals faster speed).

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-10-20, 06:41 PM
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
I also vote DC as the one with Red/Black wires the red one has a red dot meaning the positive pole of the DC circuit what voltage I have no idea. Most printers use 32 VDC (at least the ones having external power bricks I am looking at you HP with your weird proprietary connectors). The motors might be 24VDC if you know what make/model printer you can possibly find a service manual that states the motor type and voltage.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-10-20, 06:58 PM
Thank you guys for the help. It is true that one motor terminal, in both motors, has a red dot so that indicates the motors are DC. Unfortunately I don’t remember what printer it was to find out the specs but I do have both 12 & 24VDC power supplies and will give it a try soon

Old 09-11-20, 01:58 PM
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Any markings (usually embossed and sometimes difficult to see with out magnification and lots of light) on the motors at all? If there is maybe me or someone else can make use of it to see if we can find out more information on those motors.

Old 09-11-20, 02:47 PM
Good idea but the motor's casing has no markings. Didn't have a chance yet to try the motors but I will some times next week and post the results. Thanks

Old 09-11-20, 08:52 PM
Got a chance tonight to try the motors. First I used a walwart of 12.8VDC and nothing happened.

Then I used a 24VDC and the motor went like crazy. Fortunately the motor shaft has a tiny gear mounted on so I should be able to gear down to the RPM I want.

I plan to use these motors as an elevator to lift 1/2” marbles on a marbles track system I make as a hobby

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: