Color or monochrome laser for everyday printing?

Old 09-15-20, 01:23 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Color or monochrome laser for everyday printing?

I have an HP inkjet all in one and with the HP ink subscription of $5 per month for 100 pages, it has suited us well and I believe is a good price because you don't have to worry about conserving color or the ink drying out. With two kids home schooled now, they are having to print a lot of pages so we will be going over that 100 pages per month and I think a laser may be more efficient. I do want an all in one again because they will need to do some scanning as well but I am trying to decide whether to just get a monochrome to accompany the inkjet or get a color laser to replace it. If we are printing out a large number of photos, we will get them done at the store, but it is nice to have something to print a few color photos at home if needed. Is a laser capable of that and printing on photo paper? Will it still be cost effective if we are not printing out that much color? What do you guys think is the best way to go?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-20, 04:06 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
Can you not continue to use the current one as a scanner and just get a printer this time?

Old 09-15-20, 04:27 PM
D
I could, but it has been acting up lately and getting these error messages where I have to keep resetting it. I may end up returning it if it keeps doing that. Plus, I wouldn't mind having a scanner on both so one can be upstairs and one downstairs.

Old 09-15-20, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
I have not been impressed with HP's printers of late.

I tossed my last two out and went with a Brother MFC-7860DW. It is a multifunction machine with fax, scan, copy and print. Uses fairly inexpensive toner cartridges. This is a black only machine so it's not designed for pictures.

Color laser is pretty expensive for home use.

If I was in the market for a color printer I'd be getting an Epson Eco-tank printer. The machine costs a little more up front but is more reliable and the ink is actually affordable.

Old 09-15-20, 05:17 PM
D
I was looking at a B&W Brother laser as they seem very inexpensive and have good ratings. Probably 95% of the stuff we print will be black but it is necessary to print the occasional color document or photo. I can see how color toner can be expensive, but if you don't use it much, it should last a long time, right? But that being said, it still won't fill the need of the occasional photo.

Old 09-15-20, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
Most people I know that have color laser printers use them a lot.
I'm not sure how well the colored toners last if not used often.

I'm sure some members passing thru will know better.

Old 09-15-20, 05:45 PM
D
I guess I gotta see what is going on with my inkjet now. If that still works, then it along with a black and white laser might be good. But if it keeps giving errors, then I might have to address that. I would like to hear what others say about color toner. I would imagine it is like black and white. I bought my parents a black and white laser 5 years ago because they hardly print and the ink would always dry out. They are still on the original toner!

Old 09-16-20, 05:20 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
Generally, color electrophotographic (laser) printers don't print pictures well. They work very well for text and business graphics. I have an inexpensive B/W laser printer that we use for 99% of all our printing. We also have a 20 year old HP inkjet printer (Deskjet 932) that we use for the occasional color document (mostly greeting cards).

Old 09-16-20, 08:51 AM
D
Thank you for all the help. I think since it might be good for us to have two different printers anyway so they can be in different rooms on different floors, I might just keep the inkjet and buy a monochrome all in one laser. Either the DCPL2550DW, the MFCL2710DW, or the MFCL2750DW. I'll just have to figure out the differences and which one I need. They range from $160 to $250 and I suppose there is less to go wrong with and less consumables with a black and white. If we need color, I'll use the inkjet and just subscribe to the lowest HP instant ink plan of $3 a month. $36 is a small price to pay and not have to worry about clogged print cartridges or running out of ink.

Old 09-16-20, 09:01 AM
H
Received 88 Votes on 78 Posts
My 2 - Get black & white inkjet (new or used) that takes the same black ink cartridges as the printer you currently have. ("Quantity has a quality all it's own"-Joseph Stalin).

I often have LOTS of printing; (Realtor & attorney. Real estate agreements of sale are now 20+ pages and until recently, some Courts wanted 11copies of 200+ page Briefs & Records.) I've got 3 networked Brother printer/fax/scanners. I STRONGLY suggest staying with one brand for device driver, scanning program compatibility. Also suggest staying with a printer model that uses the same ink as the printer you already have.

I like the Brother inkjet printers because they have separate 4 color ink tanks, SO I just replace the ink tank that is out. The older Brother all-in-ones have a dedicated print head - so you are just buying a container of ink, you are NOT buying a print head. (Just check, last time I bought ink was April 21019, 20 pack of generic ink cartridges @ $14)

The main drawback of an ink jet printer is envelopes (the ink smears if the envelope gets wet). For my particular model Brother all-in-one, it jams on envelopes, and can't do heavy cardstock. So, for envelopes, bulk printing, and cardstock, I use an orphaned LaserJet 2100 (a tenant left it behind). It had a low page count, so I cleaned the pinch rollers, and invested in a network card, memory, and extra paper tray- about $75 total on eBay). Once it was cleaned and had a drop or two of sewing machine oil, it worked fine.